Sheldon's Memorial Celebration

Peter Cole

Guest
I attended Sheldon Brown's memorial celebration last Sunday. It was held
in the afternoon in the church across the street from Harris Cyclery.
There was a memorial ride before the event, but I was unable to participate.

There seemed to be 200+ people in attendance, the large church was
almost full. While there were many from the local cycling world, I'd say
we were slightly outnumbered by the community theater and singing folks.
The event lasted about an hour and a half, mostly consisting of
remembrances delivered by family and friends, some singing, both by
performers and the assembly, and some Morris dancing. The Reverend
Deborah Pope-Lance gave the welcome and closing as well as some shared
remembrances.

Sheldon's wife Harriet gave the first remembrance. She spoke quietly and
warmly about how she met Sheldon at a club ride, where they first
noticed each other's unusual bikes. She recalled their many family
cycling trips on Sheldon's homemade tandems, including one favorite
memory when they were interrupted in their tour of Cape Cod by an
approaching hurricane and they worked together as a family, helping to
get the youth hostel ready for it.

Sheldon's daughter Tova spoke next. She struggled with her composure,
holding back the tears as she described the warmth and affection she had
enjoyed from her dad. She smiled as she described parenting Sheldon
style, where the children's rooms had both ABC's and periodic tables on
the walls. Her memories of bedtime stories were not Mother Goose, but
things like Galileo vs. the church and how an airplane wing works.

Sheldon's older brother and sister told us some growing up stories.
Arlene laid claim to being Sheldon's original cycling instructor,
remembering how she would sit 3-year old Sheldon on the cross bar of
older brother Richard's bike, letting him steer sometimes while they
rode off for day-long adventures hiking near their home by the Tappen
Zee bridge in upstate NY. Richard recalled Sheldon's enthusiastic
conversion to communism at age 13, which he claimed to have cooled off
by introducing him to Orwell's "Animal Farm".

Long time friend and local cycling author/advocate John Allen described
his collaborations with Sheldon, including some videos they were
producing together, regretting that they had only completed the first of
a planned series. He joked about his frustration, during his 30-year
friendship, over the way Sheldon could always go him one better every
time he thought he had a cycling brainstorm. He gave a graphic
demonstration of this by performing a tire folding method he thought he
had perfected, then showed Sheldon's inevitable improvement on it.

The Reverend Pope-Lance had us all laughing when she read a list of some
of Sheldon's favorite quotes -- many of which are familiar to readers
here. Any misgivings I might have had about the irony of Sheldon's
memorial being held in a church were swept away when she handled the
inevitable anti-theistic ones with a graceful chuckle. She then read
several tributes posted from cyclists around the world who had been
touched by Sheldon. From the hundreds received, we heard voices from
every continent, all appreciating his generosity mentoring his Internet
friends.

At the end of the gathering, members of the MIT Chantey Chorus sang the
"Mary Ellen Carter", with the congregation joining for the chorus:

Rise again, rise again,
Though your heart it be broken or life about to end.
No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend
Like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again.

Many of us choked back tears watching Harriet, Tova and George holding
each other for comfort as they led the singing of the deeply moving piece.

After the memorial, we made our way to the parish hall. There, on a
small stage, several of Sheldon's favorite bikes were on display. A few
laptops had been set up on tables running slides shows of photos
familiar from his web site. I mingled there awhile, in the eclectic
throng, bikers in jerseys, tights and clompy shoes, Morris dancers in
red shirts and (real) bell-bottomed pants; friends, family, bikers,
singers, dancers and all, a true slice of Sheldon's remarkable life.

When I left, I went to retrieve my bike from the 30 or so behind the
church. Mine was the only MTB, I rode it over in part because it was the
only "whole" bike Sheldon ever sold me. Of course by now it's a mongrel
mix of odd parts, and that, more than the bike, is a tribute to his
impact on me. There were many similar mongrels out back, including an
obviously home-made recumbent with a sign on the back: "If you don't
like an 80 year old on a bike, think about me driving a car". That said,
there were also a number of elegant vintage bikes, and fixers of course,
and more Brooks saddles than I have ever seen in one place.

I pedaled home slowly in the bright cold afternoon, past Harris Cyclery,
past Sheldon's street, past the town field where the fireworks are held,
past the old hardware store we both loved, to my home, to my garage full
of bikes, thinking about him all the way. Life's short, and you don't
know what you've got 'til it's gone.

Peter "I miss you, big guy" Cole

In article <Ytyzj.3720$x93.1734@trndny03>, [email protected]
says...

> I attended Sheldon Brown's memorial celebration last Sunday.

Wonderful report. Just wonderful...

I'm tearing up now, thinking about it and reading this.

What a fantastic afernoon, what a fantastic guy, and what a fantastic
post.

Thank you.

-Bob

Peter Cole wrote:
> I attended Sheldon Brown's memorial celebration last Sunday.

Thanks for the virtual 'being there' post. Yeah, we're all gonna miss
the guy for a long time coming.

-paul

Stan Roger's "Mary Ellen Carter" - how appropriate. I've always
considered that a great song to have in my head when bike touring, and
I know Sheldon was a big fan of Stan's music, too.

Thanks for the posting, Peter.

Peter Cole wrote:
> [...]
> church. Mine was the only MTB, I rode it over in part because it was
> the only "whole" bike Sheldon ever sold me. Of course by now it's a
> mongrel mix of odd parts, and that, more than the bike, is a tribute to
> his
> impact on me. There were many similar mongrels out back, including an
> obviously home-made recumbent with a sign on the back: "If you don't
> like an 80 year old on a bike, think about me driving a car". That
> said, there were also a number of elegant vintage bikes, and fixers
> of course, and more Brooks saddles than I have ever seen in one place.
>
> I pedaled home slowly in the bright cold afternoon, past Harris
> Cyclery, past Sheldon's street, past the town field where the
> fireworks are held, past the old hardware store we both loved, to my
> home, to my garage full of bikes, thinking about him all the way. Life's

Thank you for that.

Bill S.

Thank you for sharing with us, Peter. It is much appreciated. -- Andre
Jute

"Peter Cole" wrote: in message news:Ytyzj.3720$x93.1734@trndny03...
>I attended Sheldon Brown's memorial celebration last Sunday. ...(followed
>by a very touching description.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This brought tears to my eyes.

> "Peter Cole" wrote: in message news:Ytyzj.3720$x93.1734@trndny03...
>>I attended Sheldon Brown's memorial celebration last Sunday. ...(followed
>>by a very touching description.)

Thanks for sharing Peter.
Enjoyed very much,
-tom

In article <Ytyzj.3720$x93.1734@trndny03>, Peter Cole
<[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

Amazing the breadth of Sheldon's rapport. Thank you for the moving
account.

On Mar 5, 11:58 am, Luke <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <Ytyzj.3720$x93.1734@trndny03>, Peter Cole
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> Amazing the breadth of Sheldon's rapport. Thank you for the moving
> account.

He was definitely an amazing man, mechanic, and archivist, who
probably did more for the common joe cyclist than any big name star.
He will be missed.

Thanks for this Peter. Your vivid account made it almost like being there.
I sure miss reading Sheldon's contributions here.
Dan

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>I attended Sheldon Brown's memorial celebration last Sunday. (a moving and
>heartfelt report follows)

Thank you Peter. We appreciated that.
In a world full of "celebrities" it is amazing how a simple family man
touched the lives of so many in such a practical way.
PH

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 14:53:44 GMT, Peter Cole <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I attended Sheldon Brown's memorial celebration last Sunday. It was held
>in the afternoon in the church across the street from Harris Cyclery.
>There was a memorial ride before the event, but I was unable to participate.

<snip wonderful post>

>I pedaled home slowly in the bright cold afternoon, past Harris Cyclery,
>past Sheldon's street, past the town field where the fireworks are held,
>past the old hardware store we both loved, to my home, to my garage full
>of bikes, thinking about him all the way. Life's short, and you don't
>know what you've got 'til it's gone.
>
>Peter "I miss you, big guy" Cole

Thanks for taking the time to write to Pete, it matters.

I get a glimmer of recognition every once in a while when I tell folks
that one of the ways that might work to keep the feet surviceable on
New England winter rides is to get shoes a couple sizes larger so that
there's room for a couple of pairs of wool socks.

All the best,

Jay

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 09:26:00 +1100, Dan Burkhart
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks for this Peter. Your vivid account made it almost like being
>there.

Seconded. I've saved a copy on my hard drive.