Sheldon's New "Aero" Look! Wow!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Harris, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Tags:


  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

  3. Bill Kingson

    Bill Kingson Guest

  4. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

  5. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

  6. kh6zv9

    kh6zv9 Guest

  7. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    >Check it out.
    >
    >http://sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html

    Sheldon't choice of lens for his glasses worn in the picture intrigues
    me. The lens is an unusual type known as a "Double D" which features a second bifocal above the
    usual line of sight. It is useful in situations where the wearer needs to have clear near
    vision in the upwards direction.

    It is most common among mechanics of the auto and truck persuasion, and may be used by Sheldon for
    similar reasons. But they would be useless for riding in anything but an upright riding position.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR
     
  8. Ny Rides

    Ny Rides Guest

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 11 May 2003 13:05:58 GMT, "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html

    Bring back the beard! The avuncular hero of cyclists worldwide now looks like a wrestler! I wish I'd
    been there when he walked into the shop that morning, though :)

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.
     
  10. Doug

    Doug Guest

    >Check it out.
    >
    >http://sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html

    Not since 1968!? Not since LBJ!? Not since Vietnam!? Not since before the moon landing!? Not since
    the height of the Beatles!? Not since before I was born!? Incomprehensible.
     
  11. Ted Bennett wrote:
    > >Check it out.
    > >
    > >http://sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html
    >
    >
    > Sheldon't choice of lens for his glasses worn in the picture intrigues
    > me. The lens is an unusual type known as a "Double D" which features a second bifocal above the
    > usual line of sight. It is useful in situations where the wearer needs to have clear near
    > vision in the upwards direction.
    >
    > It is most common among mechanics of the auto and truck persuasion, and may be used by Sheldon for
    > similar reasons. But they would be useless for riding in anything but an upright riding position.

    Actually, no. These are normal bifocals with the line higher than usual. The lower prescription is
    right for a computer screen, the upper part is just my astigmatism correction.

    These are the first glasses I've had since I needed bifocals that work for pretty much everything. I
    have some more conventional bifocals, wiht slightly greater magnification, but neither the upper nor
    lower part worked for me on a computer screen. I couldn't focus in the upper, and the lower was too
    low so I had to crane my neck back at an uncomfortable angle.

    It took a bit of persuading to get my optometrist to make these up, but they really work very
    well for me.

    Sheldon "Highliner" Brown +---------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | A man of character finds a special attractiveness in difficulty, | since it is only by coming to
    | grips with difficulty | that he can realize his potentialities. -- Charles DeGaulle |
    +---------------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,
    Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com
     
  12. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

  13. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    Sheldon "Highliner" Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > These are the first glasses I've had since I needed bifocals that work for pretty much everything.
    > I have some more conventional bifocals, wiht slightly greater magnification, but neither the upper
    > nor lower part worked for me on a computer screen. I couldn't focus in the upper, and the lower
    > was too low so I had to crane my neck back at an uncomfortable angle.
    >
    > It took a bit of persuading to get my optometrist to make these up, but they really work very
    > well for me.

    He or she was probably weighing legal liability against the comedic value of the sight of a
    bespectacled middle-aged man dropping into an open manhole, because he couldn't see it.

    For anyone still following this thread, I find Sheldon's words, above, to be reassuring with regards
    to his ability to work with any mechanical thing. Careful observation, logical thinking, and an
    accurate parsing of the problem led to a simple and effective solution.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR
     
  14. > http://sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html

    oh. my. god. is this a sign of the apocalypse?

    better watch out: he may go all hollywood on you and start doing stand-in work for vin diesel.

    fred
     
  15. Ryan M. Hare

    Ryan M. Hare Guest

  16. Roy Zipris

    Roy Zipris Guest

    I'm confused: I thought you are supposed to shave your legs.... --Roy Zipris
     
  17. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    Bellissimo! The Pantani haircut is most becoming.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)
     
  18. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

  19. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Roy Zipris) wrote:

    > I'm confused: I thought you are supposed to shave your legs....

    That's where he started- he just wasn't sure where to stop!
     
Loading...
Similar Threads - Sheldon's
  1. sinus
    Replies:
    18
    Views:
    1,201
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...