Sheldon's New "Aero" Look! Wow!

Let the bear come back but keep it trimmed very close. Then dye it some funky un-natural color. That
would be cool.

> On Sun, 11 May 2003 13:05:58 GMT, "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >http://sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html
>
> Bring back the beard! The avuncular hero of cyclists worldwide now looks like a wrestler! I wish
> I'd been there when he walked into the shop that morning, though :)
>
> Guy
> ===
> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
> dynamic DNS permitting)
> NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
> work. Apologies.

>>Check it out.
>>
>>http://sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html

There have been some interesting side effects.

For a while I've been thinking I needed a new helmet--I've lost so much weight on the Atkins diet
(over 40 pounds since November) that I find myself riding on the drops again, and the visor was
obstructing my vision.

However, now that my pony tail is gone, my helmet can fit farther back on my head, so Igor's perch
will remain secure.

Another side effect I've discovered is that the loss of my sideburns greatly increases the volume of
wind noise when I ride.

Sheldon "Keeping The Shiny Side Up" Brown
| Let us begin by committing ourselves to the truth - | to see it like it is, and tell it like it
| is - | to find the truth, to speak the truth, and live the truth. | --Richard M. Nixon,
| Accepting nomination in 1968 |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

> Another side effect I've discovered is that the loss of my sideburns greatly increases the volume
> of wind noise when I ride.

Isn't it great? It sounds like you're going fast, even when you're not.

;-)

Rick

> >>Check it out.
> >>
> >>http://sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html
>
> There have been some interesting side effects.
>
> For a while I've been thinking I needed a new helmet--I've lost so
much
> weight on the Atkins diet (over 40 pounds since November) that I find myself riding on the drops
> again, and the visor was obstructing my
vision.

> However, now that my pony tail is gone, my helmet can fit farther back on my head, so Igor's perch
> will remain secure.
>
> Another side effect I've discovered is that the loss of my sideburns greatly increases the volume
> of wind noise when I ride.

Totally off the subject, Sheldon, but how do you feel energy-wise on the Atkins diet? I decided that
I had gotten too fat and started avoiding carbohydrates altogether. This is not a formal Atkins
diet, but it is along the same lines. I have lost weight, and I feel lighter climbing -- but I have
no energy. My malaise could be totally unrelated to my diet, but I don't think so. -- Jay Beattie.

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >>Check it out.
> >>
> >>http://sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html
>
> There have been some interesting side effects.

If your helmet has cooling slots (and whose doesn't?) you may want to use sunscreen on your (now)
unprotected skin. Depends where and how long you ride.

btw you need a new jingle

"Sheldon Brown gets rid of clicks and clanks and wobbles in a minute Sheldon Brown will fix your
who-ole bike, and then you'll want to spin it.. Sheldon Brown, Sheldon Brown, Sheldon Brown ...."

(to the "Mr. Clean" melody)

> weight on the Atkins diet (over 40 pounds since November) that I find

I prefer the HD diet. Hagen and Daas are onto something. (you don't lose weight but when you
explode, you die happy)

> myself riding on the drops again, and the visor was obstructing my vision.

The company which produces a transparent visor will make a fortune. Don't know why they're all
opaque. Tradition?

> greatly increases the volume of wind noise when I ride.

Must be a side-effect of that diet.

Sure beats the rooster feather I have hot glued to the side of mine!

It is decreed! From this day hence, thou shalt be known to al as "Chromedome Harris, the
Bicycle Guru"

"mark freedman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > There have been some interesting side effects.
> >

> If your helmet has cooling slots (and whose doesn't?) you may want to use sunscreen on your
> (now) unprotected skin. Depends where and how long you ride.

Yes, those tan lines make you look rather ridiculous.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

>Totally off the subject, Sheldon, but how do you feel energy-wise on the Atkins diet? I decided
>that I had gotten too fat and started avoiding carbohydrates altogether. This is not a formal
>Atkins diet, but it is along the same lines. I have lost weight, and I feel lighter climbing --
>but I have no energy. My malaise could be totally unrelated to my diet, but I don't think so. --
>Jay Beattie.

A flat coke before a ride isn't going to blow your diet, and it'll give you at least some energy.
--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace World War Three can be averted by adherence
to a strictly enforced dress code!

On Fri, 16 May 2003 16:42:09 -0400, Sheldon Brown wrote:

>>>Check it out.
>>>
>>>http://sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html
>
> There have been some interesting side effects.

I'll bet:

"As Sheldon Brown awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into
a gigantic insect. He was lying on his hard, as it were armor-plated, back and when he lifted his
head a little he could see his domelike brown belly divided into stiff arched segments on top of
which the bed quilt could hardly stay in place and was about to slide off completely. His numerous
legs, which were pitifully thin compared to the rest of his bulk, waved helplessly before his eyes.
What has happened to me? he thought."

Oh yes, that's bound to produce some interesting side effects...

Jay Beattie wrote:

> Totally off the subject, Sheldon, but how do you feel energy-wise on the Atkins diet? I decided
> that I had gotten too fat and started avoiding carbohydrates altogether. This is not a formal
> Atkins diet, but it is along the same lines. I have lost weight, and I feel lighter climbing --
> but I have no energy. My malaise could be totally unrelated to my diet, but I don't think so. --
> Jay Beattie.

I feel 15 years younger, there's a spring in my step that wasn't there before, I run up stairs I
used to huff & puff...

My "Atkins" is also quite informal, and I totally disregard his prohibition of coffee. I generally
have 2-3 cups of strong dark-roast coffee daily--and my coffee cup is a half-liter beer stein!

I was a bit disturbed by Atkins's attitude toward the Elixir of Conciousness, I was unable to find
any real basis for it.

The only rationale I found was his belief that it would tend to encourage a "sweet tooth" and
possibly make the Diet otherwise hard to follow. I have not found this to be the case, in my
own instance.

Sheldon "Kaffe, Kaffe, Kaffe muss Ich haben!*" Brown +---------------------------------+
| Is ambivalence a bad thing? | Well, yes and no. | -- Garrison Keillor |
+---------------------------------+
* J.S.Bach Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

On Sat, 17 May 2003 17:22:41 -0400, Steve Palincsar <[email protected]> wrote:

>Oh yes, that's bound to produce some interesting side effects...

He'll take to pedalling tandems, solo ?

"Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "mark freedman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> > > There have been some interesting side effects.
> > >

> > If your helmet has cooling slots (and whose doesn't?) you may want to use sunscreen on your
> > (now) unprotected skin. Depends where and how long you ride.
>
> Yes, those tan lines make you look rather ridiculous.

Even more ridiculous are the tan lines made by the chinstraps.

-Luigi

" 'Díme, ¿no ves aquél caballero que hacía nosotros viene sobre un caballo rucio rodado que trae
puesto en la cabeza un yelmo de oro?' 'Lo que yo veo y columbro,' respondió Sancho, 'no es, sino un
hombre sobre un asno pardo, como el mío, que trae sobre la cabeza una cosa, que relumbra.' 'Pués ese
es el yelmo de Mambrino,' dijo Don Quixote. 'Apártate a una parte, y déjame con él a sólas, verás
que sín hablar palabra, por ahorrar del tiempo, concluyo esta aventura, y queda por mío el yelmo,
que tanto he deseado...'" -Don Quixote, I.21

"Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> "mark freedman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > If your helmet has cooling slots (and whose doesn't?) you may want to use sunscreen on your
> > (now) unprotected skin. Depends where and how long you ride.
>
> Yes, those tan lines make you look rather ridiculous.

Then again, if you apply sunscreen on your face in streaks, you'll have that "Commando" look
favoured by Arnold Schwartznegger (?sp) :)

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I feel 15 years younger, there's a spring in my step that wasn't there before, I run up stairs I
> used to huff & puff...

> My "Atkins" is also quite informal, and I totally disregard his prohibition of coffee. I generally
> have 2-3 cups of strong dark-roast coffee daily--and my coffee cup is a half-liter beer stein!

> I was a bit disturbed by Atkins's attitude toward the Elixir of Conciousness, I was unable to find
> any real basis for it.

> The only rationale I found was his belief that it would tend to encourage a "sweet tooth" and
> possibly make the Diet otherwise hard to follow. I have not found this to be the case, in my own
> instance.

I'm on Dr. McDougall's diet which is probably the polar opposite of Atkins and I'm loosing a lot of
weight as well. I suppose any diet that reduces your food choices will result in weight loss.

It's been a long time since I read Atkins' book but as I remember it he said that caffeine increased
insulin levels and according to Atkins this slows weight loss. Then again it has been a while since
I read his book and after a while all the diet books start to run together. Any Atkins devotees care
to chime in?

Dr. McDougall doesn't like coffee either. I've been cutting back anyway. I used to drink about 1 mug
of coffee an hour at work; if I worked 8 hours I had 8 mugs, 10 hours, 10 mugs and they never
kept me up at night. I've cut back to 1 mug of coffee a day though I have to confess that when
I'm at a nice Italian restaurant I usually order a double espresso after the meal.

Bruce
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

Steve Palincsar wrote:

> I'll bet:
>
> "As Sheldon Brown awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed
> into a gigantic insect. He was lying on his hard, as it were armor-plated, back and when he lifted
> his head a little he could see his domelike brown belly divided into stiff arched segments on top
> of which the bed quilt could hardly stay in place and was about to slide off completely. His
> numerous legs, which were pitifully thin compared to the rest of his bulk, waved helplessly before
> his eyes. What has happened to me? he thought."
>
> Oh yes, that's bound to produce some interesting side effects...

I do believe I've just been called a cockroach...

Sheldon "Quick, Henry, The Flit!" Brown +-----------------------------------+
| The gains in life come slowly, | but the losses come suddenly. | -- Garrison Keillor |
+-----------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772
FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

[email protected] (mark freedman) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > myself riding on the drops again, and the visor was obstructing my vision.
>
> The company which produces a transparent visor will make a fortune. Don't know why they're all
> opaque. Tradition?

Drifting off-topic, but: http://www.ttinet.com/tf/helm.htm

The trouble *I* have with this and similar visors/faceshields is that they fog up at slow
speeds or stops. That's a problem even on nice days like today: high temp of 51 degrees, with
showers and hail.

Jeff (just outside of beautiful Portland, Oregon)