Shelf life of flour?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Not Available, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. I use flour once in a blue moon. How long does it last
    before it goes bad (the flour - not the blue moon)? Why does
    flour only come in bags? Is there a canned flour?

    Thank you in advance for answering my questions!

    Tags:

  2. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:52:40 -0800 (PST), [email protected] (Not
    Available) wrote:

    >I use flour once in a blue moon. How long does it last
    >before it goes bad (the flour - not the blue moon)? Why
    >does flour only come in bags? Is there a canned flour?
    >
    >Thank you in advance for answering my questions!

    It depends on the flour. Regular white flour will last at
    least a year unless you are storing it under high heat or
    moisture, but whole wheat or rye, flours that have oils in
    them, can get rancid in a couple of months.

    If you use little, buy the 2lb size or your white flour and
    keep it in the fridge or freezer. Just make sure it is
    wrapped or packaged well.

    Boron

  3. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Not Available) wrote:

    > I use flour once in a blue moon. How long does it last
    > before it goes bad (the flour - not the blue moon)? Why
    > does flour only come in bags? Is there a canned flour?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for answering my questions!

    Put it in a ziplock and freeze it.

    I'm not sure of the actual shelf life, but I've found it
    gets weevils long before it goes stale! Open, a couple of
    months probably which is why it goes in the deep freeze.

    k.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  4. Laura

    Laura Guest

    buy a flour container..Tupperware makes some good ones..I
    and my mom and my sisters have all bought these..

    --
    Laura

    GAYLAN FOR PRESIDENT

    I am a proud member of the bloodletting aspartame silicone
    implants gluten dairy mercury amalgam lyme antibiotic incest
    multiple sclerosis fiboromylagia vaccination reunion
    commitee and survivors group. <troll trap>

    "Boron Elgar" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:52:40 -0800 (PST), [email protected]
    > (Not Available) wrote:
    >
    > >I use flour once in a blue moon. How long does it last
    > >before it goes bad (the flour - not the blue moon)? Why
    > >does flour only come in bags? Is there a canned flour?
    > >
    > >Thank you in advance for answering my questions!
    >
    > It depends on the flour. Regular white flour will last at
    > least a year unless you are storing it under high heat or
    > moisture, but whole wheat or rye, flours that have oils in
    > them, can get rancid in a couple of months.
    >
    > If you use little, buy the 2lb size or your white flour
    > and keep it in the fridge or freezer. Just make sure it is
    > wrapped or packaged well.
    >
    > Boron

  5. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Not Available wrote:

    > I use flour once in a blue moon. How long does it last
    > before it goes bad (the flour - not the blue moon)? Why
    > does flour only come in bags? Is there a canned flour?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for answering my questions!

    Pour your flour into a plastic container (Tupperware, Glad,
    Rubbermaid, anything with a tight lid) and store the flour
    in the freezer. It lasts a very long time and doesn't get
    buggy that way.

    gloria p

  6. Scott

    Scott Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Puester <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Pour your flour into a plastic container (Tupperware,
    > Glad, Rubbermaid, anything with a tight lid) and store the
    > flour in the freezer. It lasts a very long time and
    > doesn't get buggy that way.

    The freezer should only be needed for whole wheat flour,
    not white--the whole wheat contains much more fat, which
    can go rancid. For white, just an insect/mouse proof
    container is enough.

    please mail OT responses only