Shell chain oil

amirm

Guest
Hello everyone

Just wanted to share my recent maintenance experience

After using , TriFlo's wet lube, White Lightning's dry lube and
combination of White Lightning and WD40 over past years, recently I hav
started using Shell's motorbike chain oil. So far, it seems to hav
worked the best. Lubing intervals are ~500-600 km now (road bike; mostl
dry weather). This is with wiping off the chain with dry cloth once
week (~200 km) which removes grit and part of the lube every time. S
unlike before, I haven't had to re-lube after each cleaning. With m
MTB, I wipe the chain and clean the drivetrain after every off-roa
ride. It seems to be working with off-road use quite well. For bot
roadie and MTB, the drivetrain seems to work very smoothly (basicall
silent). The price is good, too. I paid $15 for a large spray can whic
I think will last a life-time! I needed to buy a bottle of Whit
Lightning once a year (~$20)

The only thing is that I don't know what would be the effect on th
durability of cogs and chain rings. Any one else has used this lube wh
wants to share the experience

Cheers, Amir

-

All the older dudes i know in Adelaide use (cant remember brand/name)
Mbike 'wax' style lube that you heat up and melt in can and drop chai
into and let drip dry off and put back onto bik

works very well supposedly. This sounds very similar if not the same t
a product all the lads on cyclingplus form rave about in the U

-

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 04 Mar 2004 01:50:08 GMT
flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:
> All the older dudes i know in Adelaide use (cant remember brand/name) a
> Mbike 'wax' style lube that you heat up and melt in can and drop chain
> into and let drip dry off and put back onto bike

Duckhams.

Works extremely well for motorcycle chains that don't have the O or X
ring rubber seals, but is a right pain as you have to remove the chain.

IT also requires care when heating the can, or you get melted grease all
over the kitchen...

Zebee

kitchen

your better half lets you bring bike bits inside

-

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:30:06 GMT
flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:
> kitchen?
>
> your better half lets you bring bike bits inside?

<giggle> Theo, Peter, say nothing!

Zebee

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote
> flyingdutch wrote:
> > kitchen?
> >
> > your better half lets you bring bike bits inside?

> <giggle> Theo, Peter, say nothing!

My lips are sealed. Actually, when I visited your mum's place in Perth, she
had parts of _her_ motorcycle in her kitchen. :)

Theo

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:30:06 GMT flyingdutch <usenet-
> [email protected]> wrote:
> > kitchen?
> >
> > your better half lets you bring bike bits inside?
> >

> <giggle> Theo, Peter, say nothing!
> Zebee

Am i to take it you ARE the better half

-

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 04 Mar 2004 05:30:06 GMT
flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> > In aus.bicycle on Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:30:06 GMT flyingdutch <usenet-
> > [email protected]> wrote:
> > > kitchen?
> > >
> > > your better half lets you bring bike bits inside?
> > >

> > <giggle> Theo, Peter, say nothing!
> > Zebee

> Am i to take it you ARE the better half?

Asuumptions, you are still making assumptions. Get out whle the going's
good.

Zebee

flyingdutch wrote:
> Am i to take it you ARE the better half?

Another possibility is that Zebee, Peter and Theo are thre
understanding house-mates who happen to like cycling. ;

But why does it matter, as long as they have a little freedom in th
kitchen? I, personally, need to sanitise before I'm allowed inside afte
a hard ride! Which reminds me, late last year when my wife took our kid
for a family visit to Europe, I got to strip my two road bikes, have on
of them custom painted and swap the components. And I did all that i
our family room (except painting)! When they came back, I said I di
repaint the bike as a project so I kept my mind away from the fact I wa
missing them. It paid. Of course, what I told them was true. :D :

Anyway, any comment on the lubes?? :

-

In article <[email protected]>,
flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

> All the older dudes i know in Adelaide use (cant remember brand/name) a
> Mbike 'wax' style lube that you heat up and melt in can and drop chain
> into and let drip dry off and put back onto bike
>
> works very well supposedly. This sounds very similar if not the same to
> a product all the lads on cyclingplus form rave about in the UK

Wax is useless as a lubricant. When it is pushed out from between the
interface between moving parts, it can't move back in.

See the rec.bicycle faq.

Dale

--
[email protected]

perhaps wax was a bad choice of wor

its sticky, that's all i know (like a wheelsucker in a headwind

-

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 04:28:25 GMT, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In aus.bicycle on Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:30:06 GMT
>flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:
>> kitchen?
>>
>> your better half lets you bring bike bits inside?
>>

><giggle> Theo, Peter, say nothing!

I'll be good.

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

Dale Stanbrough wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Wax is useless as a lubricant. When it is pushed out from between the
> interface between moving parts, it can't move back in.
> See the rec.bicycle faq.
> Dale
> --
> [email protected]

Dale:

That's why we need to apply wax-based lubes frequently. The pain is tha
the wax firstly doesn't get into crevices in chain links, hence shorte
chain life, and secondly, as it is applied frequently to maintai
lubrication, you get a huge wax build up very soon

Immersing the chain in hot wax will fix the firts problem but not th
second one. Plus, there is the pain of breaking the chain every time

Cheers, Amir

-

"amirm" wrote

> Another possibility is that Zebee, Peter and Theo are three
> understanding house-mates who happen to like cycling. ;)

I've never met Peter, but I had lunch with Zebee a few years ago. And
I've met Zebee's mum.

Theo

amirm <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Anyway, any comment on the lubes?? :)

I used to use Shell motorbike chain oil on my motorbike, and have used
it on my bicycles as well for the last few years. It works much
better than the rubbish you buy from the bike shop, lasts well, is
extremely cheap, and protects components well.

Regards,

Suzy (who has no reservations about working on her bike in her
kitchen)

wrote:
> [
> Suzy (who has no reservations about working on her bike in her kitchen)

G'day

Suzy....will you marry me?

cheers

Hitchy (who is usually banished to the shed

-

"Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> wrote:
> > Suzy (who has no reservations about working on her bike in her

kitchen)

> Hitchy (who is usually banished to the shed)

If you can find a room in my place
WITHOUT bike parts in it, you are
doing well. Mind you, if you can see
the floor in my place, you are doing
well.

... and no, it wasn't any better with a
woman living there! ;-)

hippy

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:48:11 GMT, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"amirm" wrote
>
>> Another possibility is that Zebee, Peter and Theo are three
>> understanding house-mates who happen to like cycling. ;)

>I've never met Peter, but I had lunch with Zebee a few years ago. And
>I've met Zebee's mum.

Stop it, Theo. You'll confuse 'em.

---

Suzy Jackson wrote:
> (snip)
> and protects components well.
> (snip)

Suzy:

Thanks mate, right to the point. :

Cheers

-

Hippy wrote:
> "Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:WQR1c.4-
> [email protected]:[email protected]
> erver.com...
> > wrote:
> > > Suzy (who has no reservations about working on her bike in her

> kitchen)
> >
> > Hitchy (who is usually banished to the shed)

> If you can find a room in my place WITHOUT bike parts in it, you are
> doing well. Mind you, if you can see the floor in my place, you are
> doing well.
> .. and no, it wasn't any better with a woman living there! ;-)
> hippy

Hi Hippy:

You know well that this is a tight rope we are walking on. Th
definition of tidiness is very subjective, and IMHO, is not gender
related. I have seen guys who couldn't continue with girls because the
were untidy, and vice versa. As it happens (due to socia
circumstances), we get to hear women whinging about untidy mal
partners/spouses more frequently. But it doesn't necessarily mean
stereotypical whinging female

BTW, I just found your post the best place to insert my comment. Nothin
was personally pointed at your post, mate. :

Cheers, Amir

-