Shell chain oil

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by amirm, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Hello everyone,

    Just wanted to share my recent maintenance experience.

    After using , TriFlo's wet lube, White Lightning's dry lube and a combination of White Lightning and WD40 over past years, recently I have started using Shell's motorbike chain oil. So far, it seems to have worked the best. Lubing intervals are ~500-600 km now (road bike; mostly dry weather). This is with wiping off the chain with dry cloth once a week (~200 km) which removes grit and part of the lube every time. So unlike before, I haven't had to re-lube after each cleaning. With my MTB, I wipe the chain and clean the drivetrain after every off-road ride. It seems to be working with off-road use quite well. For both roadie and MTB, the drivetrain seems to work very smoothly (basically silent). The price is good, too. I paid $15 for a large spray can which I think will last a life-time! I needed to buy a bottle of White Lightning once a year (~$20).

    The only thing is that I don't know what would be the effect on the durability of cogs and chain rings. Any one else has used this lube who wants to share the experience?

    Cheers,
    Amir.

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    All the older dudes i know in Adelaide use (cant remember brand/name) a Mbike 'wax' style lube that you heat up and melt in can and drop chain into and let drip dry off and put back onto bike

    works very well supposedly. This sounds very similar if not the same to a product all the lads on cyclingplus form rave about in the UK

  3. In aus.bicycle on Thu, 04 Mar 2004 01:50:08 GMT
    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:
    > All the older dudes i know in Adelaide use (cant remember brand/name) a Mbike 'wax' style lube
    > that you heat up and melt in can and drop chain into and let drip dry off and put back onto bike

    Duckhams.

    Works extremely well for motorcycle chains that don't have the O or X ring rubber seals, but is a
    right pain as you have to remove the chain.

    IT also requires care when heating the can, or you get melted grease all over the kitchen...

    Zebee

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    kitchen?

    your better half lets you bring bike bits inside?

  5. In aus.bicycle on Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:30:06 GMT
    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:
    > kitchen?
    >
    > your better half lets you bring bike bits inside?

    <giggle> Theo, Peter, say nothing!

    Zebee

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Am i to take it you ARE the better half?

  7. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "Zebee Johnstone" wrote
    > flyingdutch wrote:
    > > kitchen?
    > >
    > > your better half lets you bring bike bits inside?

    > <giggle> Theo, Peter, say nothing!

    My lips are sealed. Actually, when I visited your mum's place in Perth, she had parts of _her_
    motorcycle in her kitchen. :)

    Theo

  8. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Another possibility is that Zebee, Peter and Theo are three understanding house-mates who happen to like cycling. ;)

    But why does it matter, as long as they have a little freedom in the kitchen? I, personally, need to sanitise before I'm allowed inside after a hard ride! Which reminds me, late last year when my wife took our kids for a family visit to Europe, I got to strip my two road bikes, have one of them custom painted and swap the components. And I did all that in our family room (except painting)! When they came back, I said I did repaint the bike as a project so I kept my mind away from the fact I was missing them. It paid. Of course, what I told them was true. :D :D

    Anyway, any comment on the lubes?? :)

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > All the older dudes i know in Adelaide use (cant remember brand/name) a Mbike 'wax' style lube
    > that you heat up and melt in can and drop chain into and let drip dry off and put back onto bike
    >
    > works very well supposedly. This sounds very similar if not the same to a product all the lads on
    > cyclingplus form rave about in the UK

    Wax is useless as a lubricant. When it is pushed out from between the interface between moving
    parts, it can't move back in.

    See the rec.bicycle faq.

    Dale

    --
    [email protected]

  10. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    perhaps wax was a bad choice of word

    its sticky, that's all i know (like a wheelsucker in a headwind)

  11. On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 04:28:25 GMT, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >In aus.bicycle on Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:30:06 GMT flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> kitchen?
    >>
    >> your better half lets you bring bike bits inside?
    >>

    ><giggle> Theo, Peter, say nothing!

    I'll be good.

    ---
    Cheers

    PeterC

    [Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
    [and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

  12. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Dale:

    That's why we need to apply wax-based lubes frequently. The pain is that the wax firstly doesn't get into crevices in chain links, hence shorter chain life, and secondly, as it is applied frequently to maintain lubrication, you get a huge wax build up very soon.

    Immersing the chain in hot wax will fix the firts problem but not the second one. Plus, there is the pain of breaking the chain every time.

    Cheers,
    Amir.

  13. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "amirm" wrote

    > Another possibility is that Zebee, Peter and Theo are three understanding house-mates who happen
    > to like cycling. ;)

    I've never met Peter, but I had lunch with Zebee a few years ago. And I've met Zebee's mum.

    Theo

  14. Suzy Jackson

    Suzy Jackson Guest

    amirm <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Anyway, any comment on the lubes?? :)

    I used to use Shell motorbike chain oil on my motorbike, and have used it on my bicycles as well for
    the last few years. It works much better than the rubbish you buy from the bike shop, lasts well, is
    extremely cheap, and protects components well.

    Regards,

    Suzy (who has no reservations about working on her bike in her kitchen)

  15. Hitchy

    Hitchy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,876
    G'day,

    Suzy....will you marry me?,

    cheers,

    Hitchy (who is usually banished to the shed)

  16. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > wrote:
    > > Suzy (who has no reservations about working on her bike in her
    kitchen)

    > Hitchy (who is usually banished to the shed)

    If you can find a room in my place WITHOUT bike parts in it, you are doing well. Mind you, if you
    can see the floor in my place, you are doing well.

    .. and no, it wasn't any better with a woman living there! ;-)

    hippy

  17. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Suzy:

    Thanks mate, right to the point. :)

    Cheers.

  18. amirm

    amirm New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2003
    Hi Hippy:

    You know well that this is a tight rope we are walking on. The definition of tidiness is very subjective, and IMHO, is not gender-related. I have seen guys who couldn't continue with girls because they were untidy, and vice versa. As it happens (due to social circumstances), we get to hear women whinging about untidy male partners/spouses more frequently. But it doesn't necessarily mean a stereotypical whinging female.

    BTW, I just found your post the best place to insert my comment. Nothing was personally pointed at your post, mate. :)

    Cheers,
    Amir.

  19. On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:48:11 GMT, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"amirm" wrote
    >
    >> Another possibility is that Zebee, Peter and Theo are three understanding house-mates who happen
    >> to like cycling. ;)
    >
    >I've never met Peter, but I had lunch with Zebee a few years ago. And I've met Zebee's mum.

    Stop it, Theo. You'll confuse 'em.

    ---
    Cheers

    PeterC

    [Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
    [and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

  20. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    what-the???

    OK. i think i get it. you're congenital twins joined at the BB/s, yeah?

    and you do wierd things in Suzy's (i too want to marry you, but only if you use campag) kitchen.

    As for Hippy's place. Can you come and redecorate at my place?
    Its currently in neo-post-9yr-old-nee-teenager-phase at the moment and they wash my gloves in with the colours at the moment (makes for very crunchy gloves).
    I live with 3 women, none of whom have a bone of sport inclination in them (altho i think matilda is going to be the next Karrie Webb which should keep me in carbon parts in my retirement!)