Shifing problem with Dura Ace Bar End Shifters

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rotatingbeacon4, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. Hi- My 9 speed shifter seems to be missing 3 clicks in the middle of its range. The shifting is like
    being in friction mode in that range. Other indexed shifts on either end of this missing range are
    fine. Is there a shifting indexer that could be worn out inside it and can I fix it? TIA, Brian

    Tags:

  2. Bruni

    Bruni Guest

    These shifters can attach to the chrome plate in a number of ways, one is right. Tom
    --
    Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
    410.426.3420 Rotatingbeacon4 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi- My 9 speed shifter seems to be missing 3 clicks in the middle of its
    range.
    > The shifting is like being in friction mode in that range. Other indexed shifts on either end of
    > this missing range are fine. Is there a shifting indexer that could be worn out inside it and can
    > I fix it? TIA, Brian

  3. Bruni

    Bruni Guest

    Sorry I didn't read your post carefully. My post didn't adress your problem in the middle but
    another common one. tom
    --

  4. Rotatingbeacon4 wrote:

    > Hi- My 9 speed shifter seems to be missing 3 clicks in the middle of its range. The shifting is
    > like being in friction mode in that range. Other indexed shifts on either end of this missing
    > range are fine. Is there a shifting indexer that could be worn out inside it and can I fix it?
    > TIA, Brian

    It is possible to install them with the fancy shaped spacer in the wrong orientation, which will
    cause a lot of clicks to go awol
    --
    Marten

  5. "Rotatingbeacon4" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My 9 speed shifter seems to be missing 3 clicks in the middle of its range. The shifting is like
    > being in friction mode in that range. Other indexed shifts on either end of this missing range are
    > fine. Is there a shifting indexer that could be worn out inside it and can I fix it?

    The indexing mechanism can sometimes rotate within the shifter, giving the symptom you describe.

    Insert an allen key or screwdriver into the loop on the shifter than allows shifting from indexed
    setting to friction, and gently turn the loop beyond its natural stop. You should then feel the
    indexing mechanism rotating, followed by a hard stop. This should give you back your lost clicks.

    James Thomson

  6. Rotating-<< My 9 speed shifter seems to be missing 3 clicks in the middle of its range. The shifting
    is like being in friction mode in that range. >><BR><BR>

    The little flat insert that the shifter goes onto is not oriented correctly, that is, whan the
    shifter is at the 'smallest cog'(pointed down), the little space on the back of the shifter should
    be at the 6 oclock postion and the notch on the plate should be down as well...

  7. Peter- Thanks for your suggestion/help. I was hoping you would answer this w/ your expertise. I did
    what you said and now they are shifting fine. You truly do a wonderful service to the users of
    rec.bicycles.tech. Thanks, Brian Francis

    << The little flat insert that the shifter goes onto is not oriented correctly,

  8. Rotating-<< Peter- Thanks for your suggestion/help. I was hoping you would answer this w/ your
    expertise. I did what you said and now they are shifting fine. You truly do a wonderful service to
    the users of rec.bicycles.tech. >><BR><BR>

    My pleasure, thanks for the compliment-