Shift cable adjusters, Ultegra/DA/?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Matt O'Toole, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    I was adjusting the shift cables on my new bike today, for the first time. It has an Ultegra triple
    group with the usual downtube cable stops. The right side (rear shift) has a neat little lever
    thingie that gives a whole range of adjustment in half a turn, while the left side has the usual
    barrel adjuster. I've never had the little lever thing. I like it. It's much easier to use while
    riding, should that be necessary. I can even do it with winter gloves on. Can I put one on the left
    side too? What is it -- a Dura Ace adjuster? Or do these come with Ultegra too, but somehow my bike
    didn't get one?

    Matt O.

    Tags:

  2. "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was adjusting the shift cables on my new bike today, for the first time.
    It
    > has an Ultegra triple group with the usual downtube cable stops. The
    right side
    > (rear shift) has a neat little lever thingie that gives a whole range of adjustment in half a
    > turn, while the left side has the usual barrel
    adjuster.
    > I've never had the little lever thing. I like it. It's much easier to
    use
    > while riding, should that be necessary. I can even do it with winter
    gloves on.
    > Can I put one on the left side too? What is it -- a Dura Ace adjuster?
    Or do
    > these come with Ultegra too, but somehow my bike didn't get one?
    >
    > Matt O.

    Both Dura Ace and Ultegra come with the right side 'lever thingie' and left side barrel adjuster. I
    suspect the reason is, that there is also a barrel adjuster on you rear der for fine tuning, so it's
    not necessary to have another barrel adjuster on the down tube. Conversley, the front der doesn't
    have an adjuster on it, so it needs the 'fine tune' capability of the barrel adjuster.

  3. "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I was adjusting the shift cables on my new bike today, for the first time. It has an Ultegra
    > triple group with the usual downtube cable stops. The right side (rear shift) has a neat little
    > lever thingie that gives a whole range of adjustment in half a turn, while the left side has the
    > usual barrel adjuster. I've never had the little lever thing. I like it. It's much easier to use
    > while riding, should that be necessary. I can even do it with winter gloves on. Can I put one on
    > the left side too? What is it -- a Dura Ace adjuster? Or do these come with Ultegra too, but
    > somehow my bike didn't get one?
    >
    > Matt O.

    You know about 3 years ago when I bought my Chorus I was so impressed with those neat little
    thingies I bought one too, and to this day I have never used it.

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    If you cross the cables at the head tube, putting the front derailleur housing into the right side
    stop, you'll have the indented tension adjuster on the right side for the front derailleur.

    The upside is that you won't rub cables on headtube. The downside is that it is a lousy adjuster for
    the front derailleur. The rear derailleur doesn't need an adjuster at the cable stop.

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Paul Kopit wrote:

    > If you cross the cables at the head tube, putting the front derailleur housing into the right side
    > stop, you'll have the indented tension adjuster on the right side for the front derailleur.
    >
    > The upside is that you won't rub cables on headtube. The downside is that it is a lousy adjuster
    > for the front derailleur. The rear derailleur doesn't need an adjuster at the cable stop.

    Uh, anyone competent to switch the cables left to right could probably figure out the adjuster swap
    themselves.