shift cable housing question

Jeff Baron

Guest
local bike shops sell shimano sis shift cable housing at $4.5/foot and generic shift cable housing
at $1.5/foot. much appreciate advice on whether one would notice the difference in shifting between
shimano and generic. thanks, jeff baron

Jeff Baron writes:

> local bike shops sell Shimano sis shift cable housing at $4.5/foot and generic shift cable housing
> at $1.5/foot. much appreciate advice on whether one would notice the difference in shifting
> between Shimano and generic.

With shift cables attached to the handlebar and closely spaced gears, length change of conventional
control cable housing has caused problems for MTB's where large changes in shift-cable bend-radius
occurs. I doubt that there is an advantage for road bicycles. Since it contains less steel (but is
stiffer) it might be lighter.

Don't overlook the following:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.2.html

"jeff baron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> local bike shops sell shimano sis shift cable housing at $4.5/foot and generic shift cable housing
> at $1.5/foot. much appreciate advice on whether one would notice the difference in shifting
> between shimano and generic.

We use various house brands from our distributors, mostly made by CC Cable, in both 5mm and 4mm
formats. No quality issues at all. Avoid plastic ferrules, though. Get the right size in metal.

> Jeff Baron writes:
>
> > local bike shops sell Shimano sis shift cable housing at $4.5/foot and generic shift cable
> > housing at $1.5/foot. much appreciate advice on whether one would notice the difference in
> > shifting between Shimano and generic.

> With shift cables attached to the handlebar and closely spaced gears, length change of
> conventional control cable housing has caused problems for MTB's where large changes in
> shift-cable bend-radius occurs. I doubt that there is an advantage for road bicycles. Since it
> contains less steel (but is stiffer) it might be lighter.
>
> Don't overlook the following:
>
> http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.2.html

Jobst, I did not understand that at all. "contains less steel"?? Which one? Shimano gear casing or
CC gear casing?

I use both Shimano gear casing and CC Cable gear casing ( and Campagnolo gear casing too!) I use a
lot of it in all three brands.

I don't believe there is any more or less steel in any brand of gear casing currently produced.

As a matter of fact, I bet you could not tell a length of Shimano gear casing from a length of CC
Cable brand gear casing once you cut out the section with the name hot-stamped in. (Campagnolo is
very slightly thinner OD).

I just cut open a piece of each brand and the strands are the same size (.5mm) and the strand count
(19) is identical.

Andrew Muzi writes:

>>> local bike shops sell Shimano sis shift cable housing at $4.5/foot and generic shift cable
>>> housing at $1.5/foot. much appreciate advice on whether one would notice the difference in
>>> shifting between Shimano and generic.

>> With shift cables attached to the handlebar and closely spaced gears, length change of
>> conventional control cable housing has caused problems for MTB's where large changes in
>> shift-cable bend-radius occurs. I doubt that there is an advantage for road bicycles. Since it
>> contains less steel (but is stiffer) it might be lighter.

>> Don't overlook the following:

>> http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.2.html

> Jobst, I did not understand that at all. "contains less steel"?? Which one? Shimano gear casing or
> CC gear casing?

The FAQ item explains that the SIS shift cable housing has low helix stainless wires instead of
being a steel coil, conventional in Bowden control cables. The SIS cable housing is mainly plastic
with longitudinal wires with a helix similar to that of the cable. Cables must be wound in a helix
or the outside strands would fail under load because they take a longer path. The helix makes all
strands pass through inside and outside of bends, maintaining constant length and stress. The SIS
housing does the same.

> I use both Shimano gear casing and CC Cable gear casing ( and Campagnolo gear casing too!) I use a
> lot of it in all three brands.

> I don't believe there is any more or less steel in any brand of gear casing currently produced.

If you review the FAQ item, I think it will clarify the issue.

> As a matter of fact, I bet you could not tell a length of Shimano gear casing from a length of CC
> Cable brand gear casing once you cut out the section with the name hot-stamped in. (Campagnolo is
> very slightly thinner OD).

I don't know what a CC cable is.

> I just cut open a piece of each brand and the strands are the same size (.5mm) and the strand
> count (19) is identical.

Well! A brake cable housing has only one strand that is wound circularly about a mandrel. It is
solid steel, the better ones are made of rectangular (trapezoidal when straight) wire.

A reader asked:

And Jobst responded:
> >> With shift cables attached to the handlebar and closely spaced gears, length change of
> >> conventional control cable housing has caused problems for MTB's where large changes in
> >> shift-cable bend-radius occurs. I doubt that there is an advantage for road bicycles. Since it
> >> contains less steel (but is stiffer) it might be lighter.
>
> >> Don't overlook the following:
>
> >> http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.2.html

I ([email protected]) penned:
> > Jobst, I did not understand that at all. "contains less steel"?? Which one? Shimano gear casing
> > or CC gear casing?

> The FAQ item explains that the SIS shift cable housing has low helix stainless wires instead of
> being a steel coil, conventional in Bowden control cables. The SIS cable housing is mainly plastic
> with longitudinal wires with a helix similar to that of the cable. Cables must be wound in a helix
> or the outside strands would fail under load because they take a longer path. The helix makes all
> strands pass through inside and outside of bends, maintaining constant length and stress. The SIS
> housing does the same.

(am)> > I use both Shimano gear casing and CC Cable gear casing ( and Campagnolo
> > gear casing too!) I use a lot of it in all three brands.

> > I don't believe there is any more or less steel in any brand of gear
casing
> > currently produced.

(jb)> If you review the FAQ item, I think it will clarify the issue.

(am)> > As a matter of fact, I bet you could not tell a length of Shimano
> > gear casing from a length of CC Cable brand gear casing once you cut out the section with the
> > name hot-stamped in. (Campagnolo is very slightly thinner OD).

(jb)> I don't know what a CC cable is.

(am)> > I just cut open a piece of each brand and the strands are the same size
> > (.5mm) and the strand count (19) is identical.

(jb)> Well! A brake cable housing has only one strand that is wound
> circularly about a mandrel. It is solid steel, the better ones are made of rectangular
> (trapezoidal when straight) wire.

Ahhh, We have spoken past each other. I was replying to the question about Shimano vs. "generic"
gear casing. You were talking about the difference between gear casing and brake casing, an
important thing but tangetial here.

jeff baron <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> local bike shops sell shimano sis shift cable housing at $4.5/foot and generic shift cable housing
> at $1.5/foot. much appreciate advice on whether one would notice the difference in shifting
> between shimano and generic. thanks, jeff baron

$4.5/foot is too much from any MFG. Try Ashman's. I had really good prices from them on original
Shimano SIS, brake and inner stainless cables. They are black (housing with silver lettering) if you
don't mind.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "jeff baron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > local bike shops sell shimano sis shift cable housing at $4.5/foot
and
> > generic shift cable housing at $1.5/foot. much appreciate advice on whether one would notice the
> > difference in shifting between shimano
and
> > generic.
>

> We use various house brands from our distributors, mostly made by CC
Cable,
> in both 5mm and 4mm formats. No quality issues at all. Avoid plastic ferrules, though. Get the
> right size in metal.

Andrew: why avoid plastic ferrules. Isn't that the pre-packaged standard for Campagnolo? --
Jay Beattie.

In article <[email protected]>, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:

>"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> "jeff baron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> > local bike shops sell shimano sis shift cable housing at $4.5/foot
>and
>> > generic shift cable housing at $1.5/foot. much appreciate advice on whether one would notice
>> > the difference in shifting between shimano
>and
>> > generic.
>>

>> We use various house brands from our distributors, mostly made by CC
>Cable,
>> in both 5mm and 4mm formats. No quality issues at all. Avoid plastic ferrules, though. Get the
>> right size in metal.
>
>Andrew: why avoid plastic ferrules. Isn't that the pre-packaged standard for Campagnolo? --
>Jay Beattie.

I don't know Andy's reason but my reason is that the longitudinal steel strands in the housing can
push through the plastic cap. That almost never happens with steel end-caps; you do see it from time
to time with the plastic ones.

--Paul

"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Andrew: why avoid plastic ferrules. Isn't that the pre-packaged standard for Campagnolo? -- Jay
> Beattie.

We commonly replace splayed pastic ferrules. I suppose if they fit well they should work fine. But
when they are cocked in a slightly-large cable stop they split open. Campagnolo plastic ferrules??
I'm building with Campagnolo cable sets with all-metal ferule assortments. Sure you didn't mean
Shimano plastic ferrules?

> >and
> >and

> >"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> We use various house brands from our distributors, mostly made by CC
> >Cable,
> >> in both 5mm and 4mm formats. No quality issues at all. Avoid plastic ferrules, though. Get the
> >> right size in metal.

> In article <[email protected]>, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Andrew: why avoid plastic ferrules. Isn't that the pre-packaged standard for Campagnolo? -- Jay
> >Beattie.

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:qiOfa.33858$A%[email protected]...
> I don't know Andy's reason but my reason is that the longitudinal steel strands in the housing can
> push through the plastic cap. That almost never happens with steel end-caps; you do see it from
> time to time with the plastic ones.

I agree. Why do the job over to replace a split or pierced plastic ferrule when you could have done
it _once_ in metal?

jeff-<< local bike shops sell shimano sis shift cable housing at $4.5/foot and generic shift cable
housing at $1.5/foot. much appreciate advice on whether one would notice the difference in shifting
between shimano and generic

If both lined, use the cheaper stuff...like chains, the least expensive compatible stuff..

The more expensive stuff will not work any better particularly if the generic stuff is 5mm rather
than the really dopey 4mm shimano stuff...

> jay-<< Andrew: why avoid plastic ferrules. Isn't that the
pre-packaged
> standard for Campagnolo? -
>
> Campagnolo uses and supplies steel ferrules, shimano uses plastic with
their
> 4mm der housing-
>
> steel es better-

No dis to Campy intended. I got some Sachs Ergo 7/8 levers for my tandem about 10 years ago. They
were bundled with Campy cables with plastic ends. I guess this is not the standard. -- Jay Beattie.

> > jay-<< Andrew: why avoid plastic ferrules. Isn't that the
> pre-packaged
> > standard for Campagnolo? -

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Campagnolo uses and supplies steel ferrules, shimano uses plastic with
> their
> > 4mm der housing- steel es better-

"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> No dis to Campy intended. I got some Sachs Ergo 7/8 levers for my tandem about 10 years ago. They
> were bundled with Campy cables with plastic ends. I guess this is not the standard. -- Jay
> Beattie.

Those casings were hot-stamped "Sachs". It was standard, _their_ standard, not Campagnolo's. SRAM
still supplies plastic ferrules on oem casings.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > jay-<< Andrew: why avoid plastic ferrules. Isn't that the
> > pre-packaged
> > > standard for Campagnolo? -
>
> > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Campagnolo uses and supplies steel ferrules, shimano uses plastic
with
> > their
> > > 4mm der housing- steel es better-
>

> "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > No dis to Campy intended. I got some Sachs Ergo 7/8 levers for my
tandem
> > about 10 years ago. They were bundled with Campy cables with
plastic
> > ends. I guess this is not the standard. -- Jay Beattie.
>

> Those casings were hot-stamped "Sachs". It was standard, _their_
standard,
> not Campagnolo's. SRAM still supplies plastic ferrules on oem casings.

Actually, Andrew, I recall that they had a very nice gold script "Campagnolo" on them. They were
black. I installed them on another bike, but I think they are still around. I'll take a look. --
Jay Beattie.