shift cable replacement

pvinograd

Oct 19, 2003
My derailleur cables were in need of replacement, so I bought a Shimano SIS Shift Cable Set, which has everything I need to do the replacement. But, to my surprise when I opened the package, there was a part I couldn't identify.

It is a small metal cylinder that looks approximately like a ferrule in that it has a hole for the inner wire to go through. But, I don't see where this part fits - there are ferrules for all the ends of the housing pieces, and two end caps to crimp on the end of each wire...the label says that the package contains "inner and outer end caps" - is the piece in question an inner end cap? Do I need it, or is it for some other setup than what I have (standard Shimano Sora road setup).

Thanks,
Patrick

Originally posted by pvinograd
My derailleur cables were in need of replacement, so I bought a Shimano SIS Shift Cable Set, which has everything I need to do the replacement. But, to my surprise when I opened the package, there was a part I couldn't identify.

It is a small metal cylinder that looks approximately like a ferrule in that it has a hole for the inner wire to go through. But, I don't see where this part fits - there are ferrules for all the ends of the housing pieces, and two end caps to crimp on the end of each wire...the label says that the package contains "inner and outer end caps" - is the piece in question an inner end cap? Do I need it, or is it for some other setup than what I have (standard Shimano Sora road setup).

Thanks,
Patrick
it's extra.

It may well be a wire tension adjuster. Does it look like a little cylinder with a "star"-like cross-section?

If so, you can add them just after the shifter in a manner in the (dodgy) picture below.. they came on my bike when I bought them, but when I replaced the cables I didn't bother putting them back on. Too much of a pain having to cut housing, etc., and they never seemed to work properly anyway. The adjuster knob on the derailleur is good enough.

(I guess if you have a triple, it might be worthwhile putting one on the front shifter.. as front derailleurs don't usually have their own tension adjustments.)

What is a ferrule?
They're the little end caps you put on the housing to give the cable a clean entry/exit.

Originally posted by rek

(I guess if you have a triple, it might be worthwhile putting one on the front shifter.. as front derailleurs don't usually have their own tension adjustments.)
Well, the derailer may not, but the cable tension adjuster is in typically in the cable stop.

No, it's not the inline tension adjuster.

I'm pretty much convinced that it's not needed for my setup, but I'll post a picture anyway just for posterity in case somebody else has this same question later. For scale/reference, the part I was confused about is in the lower center; above it are the crimps and ferrules.

Thanks for all the help,
Patrick

Originally posted by pvinograd
No, it's not the inline tension adjuster.

I'm pretty much convinced that it's not needed for my setup, but I'll post a picture anyway just for posterity in case somebody else has this same question later. For scale/reference, the part I was confused about is in the lower center; above it are the crimps and ferrules.

Thanks for all the help,
Patrick
It's extra.Some cable stops for the RD on the chainstay require the smaller diameter end. If that would have been the case with yours,you would pull one end off the short piece of RD casing and replace it with the one that fits the smaller diameter stop.