shift cables

hwttdz

Sep 28, 2003
Where can I get that nifty little piece that allows you to adjust cable tension while riding? It looks like a long thin silver barrel that surrounds the cable. While I'm at it the housing is the insulation so to speak of the cable, correct? and what are you supposed to do with that little bit of cable that pokes your right leg next to the front deraileur?

Originally posted by hwttdz
Where can I get that nifty little piece that allows you to adjust cable tension while riding? It looks like a long thin silver barrel that surrounds the cable. While I'm at it the housing is the insulation so to speak of the cable, correct? and what are you supposed to do with that little bit of cable that pokes your right leg next to the front deraileur?
LBS, and wire cutters.

Originally posted by hwttdz

I think you are describing the Inline Cable Adjuster ( A.K.A. INCA).
Your local shop should be able to get them.
See an example at URL:
http://www.schwabcycles.com/cgi/wc.dll?SCHWAB2~catalog~DETAIL~1480

You should have a cable cap on the end of the cable. You can also bend it so that it will not hit either leg as you shift your derailer through it's entire range. Don't cut it too short, as it is very handy to have sufficient cable to grab when making adjustments.