shifter and derailleur can't work well

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by New Biker, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. New Biker

    New Biker Guest

    Hi all,

    I have an old sram 8-spd rear derailleur with a grip shift, I want to change the shifter to a
    rapid fire so I won't accidentally change the gear when I ride. I bought an used Shimano LX 8-spd
    shifter and hope it will work with the SRam derailleur, but I can only adjust the cable tension so
    much that the shifter can only shift to half of the cogs. Is it due to incompatibility or the
    shifter I bought is no good at all, if I get a Shimano XT/LX rear derailleur will it work?

    Thanks for any recommendation.

    Tags:

  2. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    If its a Sram 5.0,7.0,or 9.0 derailleur it won't work with Shimano.

    Fire up MTB 03

  3. New Biker

    New Biker Guest

    Thanks for the information, my rear derailleur is SRAM 5.0, that's why it doesn't work with a LX
    shifter. I bought a used Shimano XTR 8-speed rear derailleur for $25.00 (according to the owner,
    it's still in working condition. hope he is righr). This should solve my problem.

    Thanks everyone.

    news:[email protected]...