Shifter boss compatibility

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rkunkle, Mar 31, 2004.

  1. rkunkle

    rkunkle New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2004
    I just got an '85 Trek 1000 with one of the first Shimano 600 6spd indexed rear levers. It's busted - the teeth that used to engage with indents in the shifter boss broke off. It looks like the boss is made especially for indexed levers, because of those indents where teeth fit, so I'm wondering if I have to get an old Shimano indexed lever to replace it - if I can't just get any friction shifter (I'm fine with and appreciate friction) and make it work. There is about half an inch of the usual cylinder with a flat on either side, kind of an AstroDome shape, but there's no square part at the bottom for the limiter tooth thing - instead there's a hollow cylinder the size of the shift lever base around the base of the boss, into which a ridge around part of the edge of the base used to fit. This is a lot of detail in the hopes of saving like two dollars, but I'm super cheap and take pride in my punk rock DIY brains-before-cash-ness. Any takers?

    Tags:

  2. rkunkle wrote:

    > I just got an '85 Trek 1000 with one of the first Shimano
    > 600 6spd indexed rear levers. It's busted - the teeth that
    > used to engage with indents in the shifter boss broke off.

    Yes, this is the usual failure mode for those. Almost all of
    the 6-speed 600 shift levers have failed this way by now.
    That was the only model to have this particular problem.

    > It looks like the boss is made especially for indexed
    > levers, because of those indents where teeth fit, so I'm
    > wondering if I have to get an old Shimano indexed lever to
    > replace it - if I can't just get any friction shifter (I'm
    > fine with and appreciate friction) and make it work. There
    > is about half an inch of the usual cylinder with a flat on
    > either side, kind of an AstroDome shape, but there's no
    > square part at the bottom for the limiter tooth thing -
    > instead there's a hollow cylinder the size of the shift
    > lever base around the base of the boss, into which a ridge
    > around part of the edge of the base used to fit.

    Used to be that every derailer maker had its own proprietary
    braze-on, you have the Shimano type.

    Subsequently, the industry has adopted the Campagnolo-type
    as the de facto standard, and that's what most bikes since
    the late '80s have used.

    I believe that you can use any Shimano down-tube shifter on
    those braze-ons, just leave off the adaptor bushing that
    comes with them.

    Also, the Shimano braze-on used a 4.5 mm bolt thread, vs
    the 5 mm bolt used with Campagnolo/standard braze-ons, so
    you'll probably need to use the mounting screws from your
    old 600 levers.

    Shimano down tube levers are switchable friction/index, so
    even though you are very unlikely to find any 6 speed ones,
    you can use 7-, 8-, 9- or 10-speed levers, offering an easy
    upgrade path in the future.

    Sheldon "Standardization" Brown +----------------------------------------------------------
    --+
    | It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, |
    | and another to put him in possession of truth. | --John
    | Locke |
    -+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
    9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find
    parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
    http://sheldonbrown.com

  3. rkunkle

    rkunkle New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2004
    Upgrade path? I'll not have my birthday present maligned! I love the derailer, and I'm glad the fix is easy - 2 bucks plus 5 shipping from ebay. Do you have anything around the shop, perchance, that would be cheaper?
    (That asserted, I found a Mavic track hub I'm planning to build up when I stop daydreaming, graduate and earn more than forty bucks a week. I'll sell the Trek then, but for now I like its DeLorean aesthetic.)