Shifter-fd problem

grizzlebeard

Jul 18, 2016
a problem of my own making, as usual:

This is about my wife's +/- 2010 Marin Fairfax ALP...it's a flat bar, 3x8 speed...

The left trigger shifter (Shimano ST R225-L) came apart on her ride to work; she collected most of the pieces, but a critical bushing is missing (and maybe a spring...)

So I tried to find a replacement for the shifter, and ordered a set of what seemed to be a close match: Shimano ST EF51. However, the new left shifter has too much pull for the FD--which is a top clamp, bottom cable, model R-443--even with slack in 1, it wants to shift into 3...

The front shifting system was never all that great, so I could be persuaded to replace the FD. FWIW, the RD is a Sora, and the new right shifter works great.

Suggestions for a new FD? or stick with it and find a replacement for the original shifter?

Thanks!

AFAIK ...

The R-443 front derailleur is considered a ROAD front derailleur designed for "Road" bikes which were equipped with FLAT handlebars ...

I do NOT know if it is interchangeable with ANY other Shimano front derailleur (e.g., an 8-speed 105 front derailleur) ...

Shimano MTB & Shimano Road front derailleurs have never been considered to be interchangeable.​

I believe your new shifters are MTB shifters ...

Consequently, that is the source of the incompatibility ..
MANY, but not all, Shimano MTB front derailleurs are now suitable for either top-or-bottom pull applications ...

You will either need to pony up the $20+ for a new, SHIMANO ACERA-or-better 8-speed front derailleur OR spend more than 5x as much to change the bike to one with DROP handlebars + appropriate shifters ...

In the past, the difference between a plebeian Acera front derailleur and an XT front derailleur of the same vintage was the CLAMP ... the former hand a stamped steel clamp, and the XT had a "polished" alloy clamp ... the actual cage was essentially the same.

BTW. Be sure that whichever Shimano MTB front derailleur you choose that it has the correct/same-as-your-old clamp size.

It is IMPORTANT to match the shifters, chain, and front derailleur designation when assembling a Shimano indexed drivetrain.

Most Shimano REAR derailleur are interchangeable ...

With Shimano Road rear derailleurs suitable for Cassettes whose largest cog is 30t-or-smaller ...

And, most of Shimano MTB rear derailleurs being usable with Shimano's full range of Cassettes where the largest Cog is 36t-or-smaller ...​