Road Cycling · Public discussion

Shifter nameplate and screw for 105

Started by Fat Man Pedaling · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,026 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
28 February 2005
Last activity
1 March 2005
Original author
Fat Man Pedaling
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,026
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This is really making me nuts. (At least it's the reason I give my wife
    for my insanity. She ain't buying it.)

    I had a little spill on my bike 2 weeks ago which scratched and/or
    ruined the nameplates on my shifters. Now I am not one to insist the
    bike goes on forever in pristine condition, but leaving the assembly
    underneath exposed to any subsequent crashes disturbs me.

    So I went looking for the replacements and found them to be rather
    pricey ($12 per plate at my lbs, and $18 for a pair of them on the web,
    including shipping.) We're talking about cheap plastic here, I can live
    without the 105 name.

    I am missing the screws, too, (I again refer you to my wife for any
    opposing theories on loose screws and all issues related to the verb).

    Is there a cheaper source or can I make a cover on my own? I really
    just want to protect the inner workings of the shifter from any debris
    or damage.

    This has become one of those things where the principle of the matter
    outweighs the monetary value of it.

    Gregg G
    Fat Man Pedaling
    [email hidden]

  2. Quoted message said:

    I had a little spill on my bike 2 weeks ago which scratched and/or
    ruined the nameplates on my shifters. Now I am not one to insist the
    bike goes on forever in pristine condition, but leaving the assembly
    underneath exposed to any subsequent crashes disturbs me.

    So I went looking for the replacements and found them to be rather
    pricey ($12 per plate at my lbs, and $18 for a pair of them on the web,
    including shipping.) We're talking about cheap plastic here, I can live
    without the 105 name.

    Those things *are* expensive; it's Shimano making the money, not the shop
    (or mail order place). The cheapest we could sell them for (over the
    counter; we don't sell mail-order) would be about $10 each.

    Quoted message said:

    I am missing the screws, too, (I again refer you to my wife for any
    opposing theories on loose screws and all issues related to the verb).

    Is there a cheaper source or can I make a cover on my own? I really
    just want to protect the inner workings of the shifter from any debris
    or damage.

    This has become one of those things where the principle of the matter
    outweighs the monetary value of it.

    I understand, but it's probably not worth the trouble. The chances of
    finding a screw that size (separately from buying them with the plate) are
    low, and the amount of time it might take to try and fabricate one wouldn't
    be worth the effort. Best bet is to bite the bullet, just this once, and try
    not to crash again.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  3. "Fat Man Pedaling" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I had a little spill on my bike 2 weeks ago which scratched and/or
    ruined the nameplates on my shifters.

    Quoted message said:

    So I went looking for the replacements and found them to be rather
    pricey

    Quoted message said:

    I am missing the screws, too,

    Quoted message said:

    Is there a cheaper source or can I make a cover on my own?

    You might want to post over in rec.bicycles.tech, too.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.