Shifters: durability and campy/shimano mix

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by sfcommuter, Mar 4, 2004.

1. sfcommuter

sfcommuter New Member

I’m building up my first (triple) road bike for general riding and commuting (no racing), so I don’t really care about high-performance or weight but I do care about quality and durability. I’ve read poor reviews about the durability of the Ultegra STI shifters and so my question is whether or not I would expect enough extra durability with Dura-ace STI shifters over Ultegra to justify the higher price (weight and performance benefits aside). For everything else I think 105 or Ultegra level components will be fine.

Without starting a Campy vs. Shimano thread, another question is whether someone has real experience mixing Campy ERGO/Rear der. with a Shimano cassette. It certainly seems doable (see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/kits.html), and the Campy shifters have the advantage of being re-buildable. Any experience with this and the durability of Campy shifters would be appreciated as well.

I know that the ultimate in durability would be barends, but I’m trying to determine whether I can expect to get many years out of STI or ERGO style shifters or they simply aren’t meant to last that long.

Thanks.

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

DA sti are apparently not without their durability problems too. I've bought 2 brand new sets that were warranty replacement for trashed ones. One probably hears more about ultegras because there are more out there. Sheldon and others in the business are right about mixing the campy shifters and RD with shimano 9 speed cassettes/wheels. Works the other way too.Cog spacing is close enough that it works and also works for 10 speed. You can also use campy 10 shifters with an otherwise 9 speed shiamno drvietrain by using an alternate cable mount at the rear derailr. There is an article on it at www.hubbub.com. There are also aftermarket campy spaced cassettes you can use on a shimano hub. For a triple, I'd likely go with a campy front sifter, just because of the way it works and easier setup and maintenance and the rebuildability factor. I've also used lots of sti(even the bottom of the barrel old RSX) and never had a bad one. I use lots of barend shifters too and besides being alot cheaper,they are nearly as effective as sti/ergo,IMO. I think 'durabily' is a load of stinky stuff, because you can get a bad one anywhere, from anyone.. They all have a decent warranty, so buy the less expensive ones and if it craps out after the warranty consider it disposable.

3. sfcommuter

sfcommuter New Member

Thanks for the useful reply.

I noticed that you can buy a set of Campy spacers for a 9sp cassette, so would it be as simple as taking apart a Shimano cassette and replacing the spacers myself? I know that Wheels Manufacturing sells Shimano cassettes with Campy 9sp spacing but the things are expensive. Not sure whether it was possible to do something similar myself....

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

For spacer kits check www.branfordbike.com catalogue index under cassettes for your application.