shifting frewhheel gears

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by dandirt, Aug 28, 2004.

1. dandirt

dandirt New Member

I have two bikes that I use regularly. One is a GT Idrive full suspension, the other is a Specialized Epic full suspension. The shifting pattern on the freewheel gears are opposite on the two bikes. How can I get the GT to shift like the specialized. Is it just the shifter, or the whole rear derailer? What would need to be replaced?
    Thanks

Tags:

2. Greg-O

Greg-O New Member

most likely one of the derailleurs is rapid rise, and the other is not.

you would have to replace the derailleur.

3. dandirt

dandirt New Member

Would that mean I would need to replace the front derailleur, and shifter(s) also? How about the freewheel?

4. Juba

Juba New Member

You would have to replace your rear derailleur and rear shifter. But since it can be tricky to find one shifter for sale rather then the pair, you might be looking at having to replace both shifters, especially if you are planning on sticking with Shimano. Cassette, front derailleur and chainrings should be standard fair, so no need to replace anything else.

Rapid Rise was an interesting idea, but it does not seem like it ever really caught on.

Cheers,
    Juba

5. dandirt

dandirt New Member

Thank you very much for the input. This is going to be a winter project for me, and I've never done much more than change tires and set limits on the front derailleur.
    Dan