Cycling Training Β· Public discussion

shifting gears on a hill

Started by uncle al Β· Β· Last activity Β· 5 posts Β· 1,913 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
7 January 2004
Last activity
27 June 2004
Original author
uncle al
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,913
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. need some ideas on shifting gears while into a hill that will continue for more than ten minutes. Would like to keep cadence up as much as possible. Let's hear itπŸ™„ πŸ˜•

  2. Shift into a gear that lets you spin at the cadence you want, and shift into a smaller rear cog when about to stand.

  3. Do you want to keep cadence up because of lactic acid buildup or you're reaching your unaerobic treshhold?

  4. The only way I know personally is to accelerate like mad and make the change to a lower or higher gear. It depends how steep the hill is. If I know the terrain well I'll work my way up in the highest gear that's comfortable, accelerate and change down as it gets steeper.
    I hate getting caught out by unfamiliar terrain though. In such cases I have to turn round, descend, lower the gears and then turn back round again and carry on.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by uncle al
    need some ideas on shifting gears while into a hill that will continue for more than ten minutes. Would like to keep cadence up as much as possible. Let's hear itπŸ™„ πŸ˜•

  5. Agree it's good to keep cadence up on the long climbs. I'll shift into the lowest gear I plan to use before the start. If I find I'm spinning easy with the top in sight, can always shift up to a bigger gear. Having a triple helps a lot here, since it makes for a lower, tighter set of climbing gears, as well as easier shifting while seated.

    Of course, in my old bike, 39/26 bottom, there were no decisions on long grades.....just go into low, stand up and grunt it out.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users Β· 0 guests Β·0 bots Β·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.