shifting gears on a hill

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by uncle al, Jan 6, 2004.

1. uncle al

uncle al New Member

need some ideas on shifting gears while into a hill that will continue for more than ten minutes. Would like to keep cadence up as much as possible. Let's hear it:rolleyes: :confused:

Tags:

2. zperrys

zperrys New Member

Shift into a gear that lets you spin at the cadence you want, and shift into a smaller rear cog when about to stand.

3. dennis dee

dennis dee New Member

Do you want to keep cadence up because of lactic acid buildup or you're reaching your unaerobic treshhold?

4. Carrera

Carrera New Member

The only way I know personally is to accelerate like mad and make the change to a lower or higher gear. It depends how steep the hill is. If I know the terrain well I'll work my way up in the highest gear that's comfortable, accelerate and change down as it gets steeper.
    I hate getting caught out by unfamiliar terrain though. In such cases I have to turn round, descend, lower the gears and then turn back round again and carry on.

5. dhk

dhk New Member

Agree it's good to keep cadence up on the long climbs. I'll shift into the lowest gear I plan to use before the start. If I find I'm spinning easy with the top in sight, can always shift up to a bigger gear. Having a triple helps a lot here, since it makes for a lower, tighter set of climbing gears, as well as easier shifting while seated.

Of course, in my old bike, 39/26 bottom, there were no decisions on long grades.....just go into low, stand up and grunt it out.