Shifting Gremlin Solved

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by SYJ, Mar 6, 2006.

  1. SYJ

    SYJ Guest

    Just thought I'd share the following with you:

    I spent the bulk of last year fighting with shifters that just didn't
    want to work. Every year, I replace my cables & bar wrap, just to be
    proactive. I started out with Aztek (fake Nokon), but wasn't terribly
    happy with them. So I went to good old generic SIS cable & housing
    (Delta, I think). My shifting started out OK, but gradually went out
    of whack. I found myself adjusting cables during or after nearly ever
    ride. At first, I just notched it to cable stretch/housing
    compression, and stopped thinking about it. As I kept riding, and kept
    adjusting, I started to think that my brifters were crapping out (after
    all, the cables & housing were still new). Still I suffered along, and
    started figuring out what to replace them with.

    I decided to hold off on replacing anything, and this weekend did my
    annual spring cable swap. Low and behold, the ferrules that I had used
    with my last swap (some plastic jobbies my LBS gave me) had failed, and
    rode up the housing, allowing the inner strands of the housing to poke
    through the cable hole, screwing up the adjustment and putting a whole
    lot of drag on the system. After cleaning everything and replacing the
    cables, my bike's back to shifting like new.

    Let this be a lesson...plastic ferrules (at least, the kind without the
    metal disks at the ends) = bad. New cables = not necessarily good.

    Tags:

  2. john

    john Guest

    SYJ wrote:

    >ferrules that I had used with my last swap (some plastic jobbies my LBS gave me) had failed, and rode up the >housing, allowing the inner strands of the housing to poke through the cable hole, screwing up the adjustment >and putting a whole lot of drag on the system.

    That' interesting, I thought you were going to say that the derailleur
    hanger was misaligned. I've read of others having your condition, and
    having seen it on other people's bikes that I have serviced, but it has
    never affected a bike I've set up & ridden. I thought that it occurred
    due to ham fisted shifting, & poorly lubed derailleur & cables. Come to
    think of it, my Mt. Bike w/ plastic ferrules isn't shifting quite as
    well as I like....

    hmmm.... John

    I have no idea why the quote isn't wrapping around, & no idea how to
    correct it. It doesn't happen in edit mode.

  3. dvt

    dvt Guest

    SYJ wrote:
    > I... did my
    > annual spring cable swap. Low and behold, the ferrules that I had used
    > with my last swap (some plastic jobbies my LBS gave me) had failed, and
    > rode up the housing, allowing the inner strands of the housing to poke
    > through the cable hole, screwing up the adjustment and putting a whole
    > lot of drag on the system. After cleaning everything and replacing the
    > cables, my bike's back to shifting like new.
    >
    > Let this be a lesson...plastic ferrules (at least, the kind without the
    > metal disks at the ends) = bad. New cables = not necessarily good.

    I had that happen with metal ferrules. I don't know how long those
    ferrules served before it happened, but it was certainly longer than a
    year, and probably many thousand miles.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  4. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 6 Mar 2006 09:26:43 -0800, "SYJ" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just thought I'd share the following with you:
    >
    >I spent the bulk of last year fighting with shifters that just didn't
    >want to work. Every year, I replace my cables & bar wrap, just to be
    >proactive. I started out with Aztek (fake Nokon), but wasn't terribly
    >happy with them. So I went to good old generic SIS cable & housing
    >(Delta, I think). My shifting started out OK, but gradually went out
    >of whack. I found myself adjusting cables during or after nearly ever
    >ride. At first, I just notched it to cable stretch/housing
    >compression, and stopped thinking about it. As I kept riding, and kept
    >adjusting, I started to think that my brifters were crapping out (after
    >all, the cables & housing were still new). Still I suffered along, and
    >started figuring out what to replace them with.
    >
    >I decided to hold off on replacing anything, and this weekend did my
    >annual spring cable swap. Low and behold, the ferrules that I had used
    >with my last swap (some plastic jobbies my LBS gave me) had failed, and
    >rode up the housing, allowing the inner strands of the housing to poke
    >through the cable hole, screwing up the adjustment and putting a whole
    >lot of drag on the system. After cleaning everything and replacing the
    >cables, my bike's back to shifting like new.

    In my limited experience that's the prevailing failure mode. I see it with metal
    and plastic ferrules. I don't see it on the ends that the manufacturer prepares.

    >Let this be a lesson...plastic ferrules (at least, the kind without the
    >metal disks at the ends) = bad. New cables = not necessarily good.

    Yep, cable housing is a huge part of it.

    Ron

  5. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    dvt wrote:
    > SYJ wrote:
    > > I... did my
    > > annual spring cable swap. Low and behold, the ferrules that I had used
    > > with my last swap (some plastic jobbies my LBS gave me) had failed, and
    > > rode up the housing, allowing the inner strands of the housing to poke
    > > through the cable hole, screwing up the adjustment and putting a whole
    > > lot of drag on the system. After cleaning everything and replacing the
    > > cables, my bike's back to shifting like new.
    > >
    > > Let this be a lesson...plastic ferrules (at least, the kind without the
    > > metal disks at the ends) = bad. New cables = not necessarily good.

    > I had that happen with metal ferrules. I don't know how long those
    > ferrules served before it happened, but it was certainly longer than a
    > year, and probably many thousand miles.

    Were they SIS/shift or brake ferrules? (The "shift" ferrules have
    reinforcement at the end where the cable exits to prevent this - brake
    ferrules, where the end section is as thick as the whole thing, usually
    do this after a while, whereas I've never heard of a metal shift
    ferrule doing it).

  6. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    RonSonic wrote:
    > On 6 Mar 2006 09:26:43 -0800, "SYJ" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Just thought I'd share the following with you:
    > >
    > >I spent the bulk of last year fighting with shifters that just didn't
    > >want to work. Every year, I replace my cables & bar wrap, just to be
    > >proactive. I started out with Aztek (fake Nokon), but wasn't terribly
    > >happy with them. So I went to good old generic SIS cable & housing
    > >(Delta, I think). My shifting started out OK, but gradually went out
    > >of whack. I found myself adjusting cables during or after nearly ever
    > >ride. At first, I just notched it to cable stretch/housing
    > >compression, and stopped thinking about it. As I kept riding, and kept
    > >adjusting, I started to think that my brifters were crapping out (after
    > >all, the cables & housing were still new). Still I suffered along, and
    > >started figuring out what to replace them with.
    > >
    > >I decided to hold off on replacing anything, and this weekend did my
    > >annual spring cable swap. Low and behold, the ferrules that I had used
    > >with my last swap (some plastic jobbies my LBS gave me) had failed, and
    > >rode up the housing, allowing the inner strands of the housing to poke
    > >through the cable hole, screwing up the adjustment and putting a whole
    > >lot of drag on the system. After cleaning everything and replacing the
    > >cables, my bike's back to shifting like new.

    > In my limited experience that's the prevailing failure mode. I see it with metal
    > and plastic ferrules. I don't see it on the ends that the manufacturer prepares.

    Pretty sure it's just as likely to happen on an untouched
    manufacturer-supplied piece of housing, should one use such a thing, as
    any other piece of housing with plastic ferrules.

    > >Let this be a lesson...plastic ferrules (at least, the kind without the
    > >metal disks at the ends) = bad. New cables = not necessarily good.

    > Yep, cable housing is a huge part of it.
    >
    > Ron

  7. dvt

    dvt Guest

    Nate Knutson wrote:
    > dvt wrote:
    >> I had that happen with metal ferrules. I don't know how long those
    >> ferrules served before it happened, but it was certainly longer than a
    >> year, and probably many thousand miles.

    > Were they SIS/shift or brake ferrules? (The "shift" ferrules have
    > reinforcement at the end where the cable exits to prevent this - brake
    > ferrules, where the end section is as thick as the whole thing, usually
    > do this after a while, whereas I've never heard of a metal shift
    > ferrule doing it).

    I don't recall. That was a few years ago.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  8. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    dvt wrote:

    > I don't recall. That was a few years ago.

    Is Hillary testifying about something again?

  9. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    Sorni wrote:
    > dvt wrote:
    >

    >>I don't recall. That was a few years ago.

    > Is Hillary testifying about something again?

    When did Hillary start channeling Ronald Reagan?

  10. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  11. dvt

    dvt Guest

    Sorni wrote:
    > Tim Lines wrote:
    >> Sorni wrote:

    >>> Is Hillary testifying about something again?
    >>>

    >> When did Hillary start channeling Ronald Reagan?

    > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/stories/mcdougal031999.htm

    From shift ferrules to politics in one fell swoop... Bill, you have a
    one-track mind.

    --