shifting headache

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    I did google ghost shifting, didn't get any entries that resembled my problem.

    Everything was working fine up until this weekend and on my last ride prior to this weekend which
    was in heavy mud.

    First, I did serious drive train cleaning ---gentle low pressure hose, no spray and a brush, then I
    went after it with a toothbrush and simple green solution.

    Then, I changed my whole rear wheel... same cassette, new wheel. On my rides this weekend I was
    getting tons of ghost and jumping in the midrange, no matter what chain ring I was in on the front.
    We spent about an hour fooling with the rear and front derrailler adjustments before yesterday's
    ride, with no real improvement. Whether the chain in under load (climbing) or not didn't seem to
    make a difference.

    It was suggested to me that crud has gotten up into the cable guides and that may be the source of
    the problem, not the derailler adjustment.

    comments?

    penny

    Tags:

  2. Sdc

    Sdc Guest

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > It was suggested to me that crud has gotten up into the cable guides and that may be the source of
    > the problem, not the derailler adjustment.
    >
    > comments?
    >
    > penny

    Pardon if this seems silly and simple...but are you sure the new wheel is locked in right at the
    quick release?

    SDC

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:20:16 -0700, Penny S wrote:

    > I did google ghost shifting, didn't get any entries that resembled my problem.
    >
    > Everything was working fine up until this weekend and on my last ride prior to this weekend which
    > was in heavy mud.

    <snip>

    > It was suggested to me that crud has gotten up into the cable guides and that may be the source of
    > the problem, not the derailler adjustment.

    Would be my first guess.

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

  4. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > It was suggested to me that crud has gotten up into the cable guides and that may be the source of
    > the problem, not the derailler adjustment.
    >
    > comments?

    That seems likely. I've had the same problem in the past (not on the SS though!).

    You could try flusing and/or lubing first, but often if they get really gummed up the way to go is
    new housings and cables.

    > penny

    Matt

  5. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    bomba spray painted on a boxcar:
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:20:16 -0700, Penny S wrote:
    >
    >> I did google ghost shifting, didn't get any entries that resembled my problem.
    >>
    >> Everything was working fine up until this weekend and on my last ride prior to this weekend which
    >> was in heavy mud.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> It was suggested to me that crud has gotten up into the cable guides and that may be the source
    >> of the problem, not the derailler adjustment.
    >
    > Would be my first guess.

    ok so what does one do about it?

    the clueless but trainable wrenchette

  6. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    SDC spray painted on a boxcar:
    > "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >> It was suggested to me that crud has gotten up into the cable guides and that may be the source
    >> of the problem, not the derailler adjustment.
    >>
    >> comments?
    >>
    >> penny
    >>

    > Pardon if this seems silly and simple...but are you sure the new wheel is locked in right at the
    > quick release?
    >
    > SDC

    yes. but it's a good idea to check everything..

    P.

  7. Penny S wrote:
    > I did google ghost shifting, didn't get any entries that resembled my problem.
    >
    > Everything was working fine up until this weekend and on my last ride prior to this weekend which
    > was in heavy mud.
    >
    > First, I did serious drive train cleaning ---gentle low pressure hose, no spray and a brush, then
    > I went after it with a toothbrush and simple green solution.
    >
    > Then, I changed my whole rear wheel... same cassette, new wheel. On my rides this weekend I was
    > getting tons of ghost and jumping in the midrange, no matter what chain ring I was in on the
    > front. We spent about an hour fooling with the rear and front derrailler adjustments before
    > yesterday's ride, with no real improvement. Whether the chain in under load (climbing) or not
    > didn't seem to make a difference.
    >
    > It was suggested to me that crud has gotten up into the cable guides and that may be the source of
    > the problem, not the derailler adjustment.
    >
    > comments?
    >
    > penny

    As others have mentiones, it is likely that your cables are fouled. Best first thing to dois to
    shift the rear into the lowest(biggest) cog, then without moving the cranks, shift back to the
    highest (smallest) cog. This slacks up the cable so you can pop the housings out of the stops
    easily. then drizzle tri-flow or some similar light lube on the cables and run the housing back and
    forth over the cable to smooth out the rough spots.

    If this doesn't help, new cables and housing.

    Also, the hub could be slightly differently spaced. adding to the above problem, or perhaps creating
    a stand alone problem.

  8. "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I did google ghost shifting, didn't get any entries that resembled my problem.
    >
    > Everything was working fine up until this weekend and on my last ride
    prior
    > to this weekend which was in heavy mud.
    >
    > First, I did serious drive train cleaning ---gentle low pressure hose, no spray and a brush, then
    > I went after it with a toothbrush and simple green solution.
    >
    > Then, I changed my whole rear wheel... same cassette, new wheel. On my rides this weekend I was
    > getting tons of ghost and jumping in the
    midrange,
    > no matter what chain ring I was in on the front. We spent about an hour fooling with the rear and
    > front derrailler adjustments before yesterday's ride, with no real improvement. Whether the chain
    > in under load
    (climbing)
    > or not didn't seem to make a difference.
    >
    > It was suggested to me that crud has gotten up into the cable guides and that may be the source of
    > the problem, not the derailler adjustment.
    >
    > comments?
    >
    > penny

    Fit new cables - inner and outers. Alternatively, you haven't changed the chain recently have you
    (poss. mismatched chain/cassette)?

    Steve.

  9. markh12001

    markh12001 Guest

    Check for a fouled link on the chain...

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I did google ghost shifting, didn't get any entries that resembled my problem.
    >
    > Everything was working fine up until this weekend and on my last ride
    prior
    > to this weekend which was in heavy mud.
    >
    > First, I did serious drive train cleaning ---gentle low pressure hose, no spray and a brush, then
    > I went after it with a toothbrush and simple green solution.
    >
    > Then, I changed my whole rear wheel... same cassette, new wheel. On my rides this weekend I was
    > getting tons of ghost and jumping in the
    midrange,
    > no matter what chain ring I was in on the front. We spent about an hour fooling with the rear and
    > front derrailler adjustments before yesterday's ride, with no real improvement. Whether the chain
    > in under load
    (climbing)
    > or not didn't seem to make a difference.
    >
    > It was suggested to me that crud has gotten up into the cable guides and that may be the source of
    > the problem, not the derailler adjustment.
    >
    > comments?
    >
    > penny

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...

    > Put the chain in to the largest cog, then, without turning the cranks shift the gear lever in to
    > the 8 or 9 position. This should give you a load of slack in the cable.
    >
    > Unhook the outers from the cable stops and move the outers along the bare cable to expose the
    > areas that would normally be internal. Clean with a cloth. Spray some WD40 with hose in to the
    > cable outers to try and clear any crap out. Wipe cables clean again. Repeat for all parts of the
    > cable. Check cable stops, derailleur and shifter entry points for any other crud.
    >
    > Find a nice light lube and apply to bare cable, sliding outers up and down to distribute the
    > lube. Put the outers back in the cable stops and turn the cranks to get the chain back in the
    > right gear.
    >
    > Fine fettle derailleur for small adjustments.

    This is often my method, or used to be. Now, I do not cut the welded ends of my cable inners, I
    just coil them up without creasing them. If I think they need cleaning, I remove the inners, spray
    WD40 down the outers until it runs clear, then re-assemble. I don't lube them, as I use Teflon
    coated cable.

    Most recently, I have fitted a device I made to the centre of the rear cable housing, that allows me
    to put WD40 into the cable, then blow it and any dirt out both ends with an air line. I can use a
    bike pump too if I need ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Then, I changed my whole rear wheel... same cassette, new wheel. On my rides this weekend I was
    > getting tons of ghost and jumping in the midrange, no matter what chain ring I was in on the
    > front. We spent about an hour fooling with the rear and front derrailler adjustments before
    > yesterday's ride, with no real improvement. Whether the chain in under load (climbing) or not
    > didn't seem to make a difference.
    >
    > It was suggested to me that crud has gotten up into the cable guides and that may be the source of
    > the problem, not the derailler adjustment.

    If the cable hygene suggestions don't yield an improvement, check for damaged chain links or damaged
    cassette cogs. Bent derailluer and/or hanger are possible too, but that would tend to give problems
    in all rear gears.

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    A good dose of ibuprofen should do it. Failing that, alcohol and rest.

    Shaun aRe

  13. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Dave spray painted on a boxcar:>
    > If the cable hygene suggestions don't yield an improvement, check for damaged chain links or
    > damaged cassette cogs. Bent derailluer and/or hanger are possible too, but that would tend to give
    > problems in all rear gears.

    I think housing replacement is in order. My lbs guy said he's had the same problems after the mud
    fest too! This sounds like a good job for me to do myself, just proceed carefully with the help of
    the park took site, and good input from the gang here, and my helpful hubby.

    goal.. clueless wrenchette, not.

    Penny

  14. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Dave spray painted on a boxcar:>
    > > If the cable hygene suggestions don't yield an improvement, check for damaged chain links or
    > > damaged cassette cogs. Bent derailluer and/or hanger are possible too, but that would tend to
    > > give problems in all rear gears.
    >
    > I think housing replacement is in order. My lbs guy said he's had the same problems after the mud
    > fest too! This sounds like a good job for me to do myself, just proceed carefully with the help of
    > the park took site, and
    good
    > input from the gang here, and my helpful hubby.
    >
    > goal.. clueless wrenchette, not.
    >
    > Penny

    Check for bent housing ferrules while you're at it. My lbs has me using machined aluminum ones. No
    more kinks.

    Mike

  15. Eric

    Eric Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Penny S <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Everything was working fine up until this weekend and on my last ride prior to this weekend which
    >was in heavy mud.

    If it was shifting fine after the mud ride but started acting up after the cleaning and wheel
    replacement, then the problem was caused by that.

    The wheel may have a different axle spacing than the last. The axle may be coming unscrewed from the
    hub... this has happened to me.

    Eric

  16. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  17. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:05:11 -0400, Michael Dart wrote:
    >
    > > Check for bent housing ferrules while you're at it. My lbs has me using machined aluminum ones.
    > > No more kinks.
    >
    > Ah, the old "My LBS made me do it!" defence. Bollocks - you're just a bike tart with a penchant
    > for pimpy parts ;~p

    Heheheheheh.........

    Shaun aRe - He said 'penchant', heheheheheh.......heheheheheheh............

  18. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:05:11 -0400, Michael Dart wrote:
    >
    > > Check for bent housing ferrules while you're at it. My lbs has me using machined aluminum ones.
    > > No more kinks.
    >
    > Ah, the old "My LBS made me do it!" defence. Bollocks - you're just a bike tart with a penchant
    > for pimpy parts ;~p

    I'm outed!!!

    Mike - Oooooohhhhh....shiny!