Shifting/noise problem I need some help.

Steve Knight

Guest
This is a bit weird so bare with me.
Ok I have a campy hub with campy cogset with shimano spacers (8 speed) and At
first I had sachs ergo shifters and now I have bar ends. I also have a newer DA
RD.
Ok this setup worked fine for about 2k I had the rim go bad and to use a
cheaper shimano wheel for about a month. Well I get the new rim on and the
mechanic ( a really good one) greases the hub and checks it out.
Well I put it on and off I go it sounds like the RD needs adjustment. Well that
is no biggie. I take it to the stand then ext day and get it perfect. But once I
start riding it is bad again. Plus I had the brakes perfect and now they are
rubbing.
Well I check and the hub is a bit loose I get him to fix that and shifting is
better. But it still sounds like it is a bit off. But it is perfect on the
stand.
So any idea's what's causing it? He said the campy hub is in good shape. I am
thinking the chain may be a problem. And I can check that today. The chain may
have a bit more the 2000 miles on it. I am a heavy rider so that may have caused
more wear.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Steve Knight wrote:
> This is a bit weird so bare with me. Ok I have a campy hub with campy
> cogset with shimano spacers (8 speed) and At first I had sachs ergo
> shifters and now I have bar ends. I also have a newer DA RD. Ok this
> setup worked fine for about 2k I had the rim go bad and to use a
> cheaper shimano wheel for about a month. Well I get the new rim on and
> the mechanic ( a really good one) greases the hub and checks it out.
> Well I put it on and off I go it sounds like the RD needs adjustment.
> Well that is no biggie. I take it to the stand then ext day and get it
> perfect. But once I start riding it is bad again. Plus I had the brakes
> perfect and now they are rubbing. Well I check and the hub is a bit
> loose I get him to fix that and shifting is better. But it still sounds
> like it is a bit off. But it is perfect on the stand. So any idea's
> what's causing it? He said the campy hub is in good shape. I am
> thinking the chain may be a problem. And I can check that today. The
> chain may have a bit more the 2000 miles on it. I am a heavy rider so
> that may have caused more wear.
> --
> Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable
> prices See http://www.knight-toolworks.com/http://www.knight-
> toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

Chain may be it. Measure the wear and learn more about chains:
http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html Derailer adjustments: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-
adjustment.html If those 2 things don't care for it, you may have some
spacing issues that are not compatible with the shifter indexing, rear
derailer, and the cog spacing.

--

Steve Knight wrote:
> This is a bit weird so bare with me.