Shifting options for 1991 Dura-Ace RD-7402



Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Neffenger

Guest
My left 1991 Shimano Dura-Ace ST-7400 shift/brake lever is slowly deteriorating. About a month ago,
I lost the two trim positions between the big and small chainring. Now the whole lever is all floppy
when I'm in the big chainring, and eventually pulls the chain back onto the small ring. The bike
shops around here say my only option is to replace it, and after seeing the /exploded view/ service
diagram, I can see why!

So what are my options with an 8-speed Dura-Ace RD-7402 derailleur when I'd prefer not to replace
just the left of the two shift/brake levers?

Can I just get a new set like this:

Flight Deck Compatible Shift Lever - ST-7700-C
http://bike.shimano.com/Road/Dura-Ace/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=ST-7700-C

When discussing this option with my mechanic, he took me through a chain of events that eventually
had me rebuilding the rear wheel! (New right 9-speed shifter, new 9-speed derailleur, new 9-speed
cassette, oops, new hub.)

If I just give up on the whole STI thing, will these new 9-speed Dura-Ace bar-end shifters work with
my 8-speed RD-7402?

Bar-End Shifters - SL-BS77
http://bike.shimano.com/Road/Dura-Ace/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=SL-BS77

I've read elsewhere that these Dura-Ace bar-end shifters would work, while the 8-speed Ultegra
bar-end shifters would not work.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John Neffenger
 
P

Paul Kopit

Guest
On Sun, 11 May 2003 19:15:24 GMT, John Neffenger <[email protected]> wrote:

>If I just give up on the whole STI thing, will these new 9-speed Dura-Ace bar-end shifters work
>with my 8-speed RD-7402?

If you use any Shimano 9sp shifters with your 7402 rear derailleur, you will shift 8sp cassettes
fine. You will only have an extra click on the shifter.
 
J

John Neffenger

Guest
Just to make sure I understand, is that true only for the bar-end shifters, or for anything --
bar-end, down-tube, and shift/brake levers?

Are the brand new Dura-Ace 9-speed ST-7700-C shift/brake levers compatible with my old 1991 Dura-Ace
8-speed RD-7402 derailleur?

Thanks, John Neffenger

Paul Kopit wrote:
>>If I just give up on the whole STI thing, will these new 9-speed Dura-Ace bar-end shifters work
>>with my 8-speed RD-7402?
>
> If you use any Shimano 9sp shifters with your 7402 rear derailleur, you will shift 8sp cassettes
> fine. You will only have an extra click on the shifter.
 
M

Mark Wolfe

Guest
Some of the old timers in here may need to correct me, but from my understanding, you can throw a 9
speed cassette on your hub, put a 9 speed chain on, and run the 9 speed shifters with your older
74xx derailers just fine.

John Neffenger wrote:

> Just to make sure I understand, is that true only for the bar-end shifters, or for anything --
> bar-end, down-tube, and shift/brake levers?
>
> Are the brand new Dura-Ace 9-speed ST-7700-C shift/brake levers compatible with my old 1991
> Dura-Ace 8-speed RD-7402 derailleur?
>
> Thanks, John Neffenger
>
> Paul Kopit wrote:
>>>If I just give up on the whole STI thing, will these new 9-speed Dura-Ace bar-end shifters work
>>>with my 8-speed RD-7402?
>>
>> If you use any Shimano 9sp shifters with your 7402 rear derailleur, you will shift 8sp cassettes
>> fine. You will only have an extra click on the shifter.

--
Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
8C71 "So i get the chance to reread my postings to asr at times, with a corresponding conservation
of the almighty leviam00se, Kai Henningsen." -- Megahal (trained on asr), 1998-11-06
 

cliff

New Member
Apr 19, 2003
21
0
0
Any of the shimano 9 speed shifters will work with your RD 7402, but only with an 8 speed cassette. In other words, the cable pull is the same as your old 8 speed shifters. If you want to shift 9, you have to change the rear deraillure to 9 speed, as well as the cassette and chain.
 
H

Helmut Springer

Guest
John Neffenger <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just to make sure I understand, is that true only for the bar-end shifters, or for anything --
> bar-end, down-tube, and shift/brake levers?

For anything (i.e. any Shimano 9x shifter).

> Are the brand new Dura-Ace 9-speed ST-7700-C shift/brake levers compatible with my old 1991
> Dura-Ace 8-speed RD-7402 derailleur?

Yes.

http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html has a nice overview.

--
MfG/Best regards helmut springer
 
Q

Qui Si Parla Ca

Guest
john-<< My left 1991 Shimano Dura-Ace ST-7400 shift/brake lever is slowly deteriorating. >><BR><BR>
<< So what are my options with an 8-speed Dura-Ace RD-7402 derailleur when I'd prefer not to replace
just the left of the two shift/brake levers?

If your bike shop deals with Quality Bike parts, they can get a single left lever that will work
with your front der just fine.

If you get 9s shifters complete and use the 7402 rear der, the 9s shifters will shift 8s spacing, no
need for a rear wheel.

If you get a 9s rear der, the 9s shifter will shift only 9s spacing, using the DA 8s rear der, you
will shift 8s spacing.

<< If I just give up on the whole STI thing, will these new 9-speed Dura-Ace bar-end shifters work
with my 8-speed RD-7402?

Yes and shift 8s spacing-

<< I've read elsewhere that these Dura-Ace bar-end shifters would work, while the 8-speed Ultegra
bar-end shifters would not work.

That is correct, DA 8s stuff is unique-your bike shop wrench needs to do some homework and not just
try to sell ya something.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
 
A

Ajames54

Guest
On 12 May 2003 09:12:04 GMT, Helmut Springer
<[email protected]> wrote:

>John Neffenger <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Just to make sure I understand, is that true only for the bar-end shifters, or for anything --
>> bar-end, down-tube, and shift/brake levers?
>
>For anything (i.e. any Shimano 9x shifter).
>
>
>> Are the brand new Dura-Ace 9-speed ST-7700-C shift/brake levers compatible with my old 1991
>> Dura-Ace 8-speed RD-7402 derailleur?
>
>Yes.
>
>http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html has a nice overview.

excellent reference....

I'm using 9 speed ultegra break/shift levers and 8 speed DA rear derailleur and 7 speed DA
(Uniglide) freewheel... works fine...

I also have a pair of DA 8 speed down tube shifters looking for a home...
 
P

Paul Kopit

Guest
On Mon, 12 May 2003 06:28:30 GMT, Mark Wolfe <[email protected]> wrote:

>Some of the old timers in here may need to correct me, but from my understanding, you can throw a 9
>speed cassette on your hub, put a 9 speed chain on, and run the 9 speed shifters with your older
>74xx derailers just fine.

With the DA 8sp 7402 rear derailleur you do't need any 9sp cassette or chain. You can only shift 8sp
cogsets properly.
 
P

Paul Kopit

Guest
On Mon, 12 May 2003 04:25:42 GMT, John Neffenger <[email protected]> wrote:

>Are the brand new Dura-Ace 9-speed ST-7700-C shift/brake levers compatible with my old 1991
>Dura-Ace 8-speed RD-7402 derailleur?

Yes, as long as you use an 8sp cassette.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.