Shifting problem... Weird.

Nenshou

Feb 20, 2004
I just registered and I need a little bit of help.. Well, heres the problem: --

My bike is a Roadmaster Mountain bike. Its a 15 speed. Problem is when I try to shift to the 5'th gear, it just doesnt shift. I've tried loosning and tightening the Cable, doesnt help any. It will Occasionally shift, but then it just wont do it again.. You can hear it click just as it does before it shifts, but it just dont shift.. Whats the problem?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really like to hear them.. Btw - I'm not all that smart with bikes.. Infact, I'm quite dumb.. -_-.. So, any information would help. Thanks.

Originally posted by Nenshou
I just registered and I need a little bit of help.. Well, heres the problem: --

My bike is a Roadmaster Mountain bike. Its a 15 speed. Problem is when I try to shift to the 5'th gear, it just doesnt shift. I've tried loosning and tightening the Cable, doesnt help any. It will Occasionally shift, but then it just wont do it again.. You can hear it click just as it does before it shifts, but it just dont shift.. Whats the problem?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really like to hear them.. Btw - I'm not all that smart with bikes.. Infact, I'm quite dumb.. -_-.. So, any information would help. Thanks.

You need to adjust the travel screws on your rear mech. Basically, these are two little screws. One stops the derailler travelling beyond the big cog and falling off (ie upper travel) and the other stops it falling off the bottom cog (lower travel) Depending on your mech which screw is which may differ. But basically you need to loosen (i think) one of them. Just have a little play with them until it shifts down. They will be identified as two small screws close toe ach other. good luck matey. :eek:)

As davebee says, it's most likely derailleur limits. The Park tool web site has some detailed info on how to re-set them:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrindx.shtml

Also as you have played with the cable tension, you should also double check to make sure that's still right too. (That's also explained in the link above)