Shifting problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Sharafaw2, Jun 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharafaw2

Sharafaw2 Guest

I'm having a problem with the rear friction shifting on my road bike. It's easy to shift into a
    smaller cog, but the problem occurs when I shift into a larger cog. No matter how slowly I pull
    the right shifter down, I need to let cable out after I hear the shift occur in order to silence
    the chain.

I have a Suntour ARX derailleur, Suntour Symmetric shifters, a new SRAM PC48 chain and a new Suntour
    14-28 six-speed freewheel. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Andrew Sharaf

Tags:

2. Mark Janeba

Mark Janeba Guest

Sharafaw2 wrote:
    > I'm having a problem with the rear friction shifting on my road bike. It's easy to shift into a
    > smaller cog, but the problem occurs when I shift into a larger cog. No matter how slowly I pull
    > the right shifter down, I need to let cable out after I hear the shift occur in order to silence
    > the chain.
    >
    > I have a Suntour ARX derailleur,

Pre-index Suntour shifters work this way, this is well documented. I believe it was by design.

In fact, index Suntour shifters work this way - the indexing lever is designed to require a bit of
    overshift before the lever clicks - then as you let go, the lever moves back a bit. I have a bunch
    of suntour indexed stuff.

Back in the day, one developed the overshift/back-off technique; it's not hard to do.

Regards,
    --
    Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.