Shifting Problem

Mitch Slaughter

Guest
I have just recently received a 21 speed mountain bike from a friend
and over the past week or so I have been fixing various problems with
the bike(patched flat tire, fixed improperly mounted seat).

My problem now is that when I try to shift to the second largest chain
ring in the back, it keeps grabbing on to the largest chain ring and
slipping off intermittently, which is also accompanied by a rattling
from the rear derailer cage. This happens regardless of the position
of the chain on the front chain rings.

I have read some articles around the internet about derailer tuning
and have followed the instructions to the point where every gear works
fine and shifts fairly smoothly except for when the chain is on the
second largest chain ring as outlined above. I am not experienced with
bicycle repair but am by no means mechanically incompetent, so I find
myself fairly stumped by this predicament. Any help or comments would
be greatly appreciated.

Mitch Slaughter

I had a similar problem on my 21 speed trek antelope. I found the B angle
adjustment was set much higher than necessary. When I loosened the b-screw
so that there was just a bit of clearance between the upper pulley and
largest cog. That seemed to improve things quite a bit.

"Mitch Slaughter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have just recently received a 21 speed mountain bike from a friend
> and over the past week or so I have been fixing various problems with
> the bike(patched flat tire, fixed improperly mounted seat).
>
> My problem now is that when I try to shift to the second largest chain
> ring in the back, it keeps grabbing on to the largest chain ring and
> slipping off intermittently, which is also accompanied by a rattling
> from the rear derailer cage. This happens regardless of the position
> of the chain on the front chain rings.
>
> I have read some articles around the internet about derailer tuning
> and have followed the instructions to the point where every gear works
> fine and shifts fairly smoothly except for when the chain is on the
> second largest chain ring as outlined above. I am not experienced with
> bicycle repair but am by no means mechanically incompetent, so I find
> myself fairly stumped by this predicament. Any help or comments would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Mitch Slaughter

"Mitch Slaughter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have just recently received a 21 speed mountain bike from a friend
> and over the past week or so I have been fixing various problems with
> the bike (patched flat tire, fixed improperly mounted seat).

[specifics of problem snipped]

I'm no mechanical genius myself, but I'm curious as to the make of the bike
and the make of the components.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

On Apr 28, 11:45 am, Mitch Slaughter <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I have just recently received a 21 speed mountain bike from a friend
> and over the past week or so I have been fixing various problems with
> the bike(patched flat tire, fixed improperly mounted seat).
>
> My problem now is that when I try to shift to the second largest chain
> ring in the back, it keeps grabbing on to the largest chain ring and
> slipping off intermittently, which is also accompanied by a rattling
> from the rear derailer cage. This happens regardless of the position
> of the chain on the front chain rings.
>
> I have read some articles around the internet about derailer tuning
> and have followed the instructions to the point where every gear works
> fine and shifts fairly smoothly except for when the chain is on the
> second largest chain ring as outlined above. I am not experienced with
> bicycle repair but am by no means mechanically incompetent, so I find
> myself fairly stumped by this predicament. Any help or comments would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Mitch Slaughter

Trundle on down to a local bike shop, pay him $5 to adjust the
derailleur and ask if you can watch, asking a few questions...it's
what they do.