Shifting problems

jlogel004

Mar 12, 2008
Good Afternoon all,

I have a 21 speed mountain bike which is having shifting problems. I'm noticing shift hesitation mostly when i shift from 2,3 all the way up 2,6. Downshifting usually is not a problem, however is somewhat prevalent. I've been told to adjust the derailleur which has yet to help. My other issue is that when i shift down to the first set of gears i get a clicking sound which i have noticed is caused by the chain hitting the front derailleur preventing the chains relocation.

My concern is that this problem was caused by the installation of a new crank recently.

any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Joe

jlogel004 said:
I have a 21 speed mountain bike which is having shifting problems. I'm noticing shift hesitation mostly when i shift from 2,3 all the way up 2,6. Downshifting usually is not a problem, however is somewhat prevalent. I've been told to adjust the derailleur which has yet to help. My other issue is that when i shift down to the first set of gears i get a clicking sound which i have noticed is caused by the chain hitting the front derailleur preventing the chains relocation.

My concern is that this problem was caused by the installation of a new crank recently.
There is an imprecision in your description, so you'll need to answer a couple of questions ...

How different is the new crankset from the old one that was on your bike?

When the chain is on the outer chainring, you should be able to see about 2mm between the bottom edge of the front derailleur's outer plate & the teeth ...

Did you change chains? If so, is it the right TYPE of chain? If you put a 9-speed chain on, then your shifting in the front will continue to be problematic unless you get a 7-speed chain OR change the front derailleur to one that matches the chain. Depending on the chain, even an 8-speed chain might be too narrow for your front derailleur to function properly.