Shifting Ultegra 9

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scott Downie, May 30, 2003.

  1. Scott Downie

    Scott Downie Guest

    Hi there I have a problem with shifting on my dura ace ultegra 9. I cannot seem to get it to shift
    properly. If I make adjustment with cable tension so it will shift up properly, it will not shift
    down and vice versa. I am only moving the barrel adjustment one notch. What are the possibilities ?
    Too sharp of a bend in the rear derailleur housing binding up the down shift ? Housings gummed up or
    dirty ? B screw adjustment ? Thanks a lot. Oh this bike is an AEGIS with short chain stays, this
    would not have any influence on this would it. ? Thanks a bunch Scott

    --
    My wife and I have a difference of opinion. She thinks I need to see a shrink...I think I need
    a new bike.

    Tags:

  2. "Scott Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi there I have a problem with shifting on my dura ace ultegra 9. I cannot seem to get it to shift
    > properly. If I make adjustment with cable tension so it will shift up properly, it will not shift
    > down and vice versa. I am only moving the barrel adjustment one notch. What are the possibilities
    > ? Too sharp of a bend in the rear derailleur housing binding up the down shift ? Housings gummed
    > up or dirty ? B screw adjustment ? Thanks a lot. Oh this bike is an AEGIS with short chain stays,
    > this would not have any influence on this would it. ? Thanks a bunch Scott

    If I'm understanding you correctly, that you're able to shift down
    (i.e. to larger gear on the cassette) but not up, it's most likely your deraileur cable either has a
    kink in it - in which case the best option is to get a new one, cost is only about $3. Or the
    cable housing is dirty, in which case you want to lube your cable and run it up through the
    housing a few times. I use a waterproof silicone based lube which seems to work well.

    Roland.

  3. scott-<< Hi there I have a problem with shifting on my dura ace ultegra 9. I cannot seem to get it
    to shift properly. If I make adjustment with cable tension so it will shift up properly, it will not
    shift down and vice versa. I am only moving the barrel adjustment one notch. What are the
    possibilities ?

    Cable routed under the rear der fixing bolt??

  4. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    "Scott Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi there I have a problem with shifting on my dura ace ultegra 9. I cannot seem to get it to shift
    > properly. If I make adjustment with cable tension so it will shift up properly, it will not shift
    > down and vice versa. I am only moving the barrel adjustment one notch. What are the possibilities
    > ? Too sharp of a bend in the rear derailleur housing binding up the down shift ? Housings gummed
    > up or dirty ? B screw adjustment ? Thanks a lot. Oh this bike is an AEGIS with short chain stays,
    > this would not have any influence on this would it. ?

    Setting up indexing is straight forward if you do it in the right sequence. Assuming your housing
    loop is at least 12" (I use 13/14"), Shift the STI to the highest gear, line up the upper pulley to
    the highest cog (actually slightly toward the dropout side, pull cable "tight" and anchor. Shift to
    different gears and use the knob to fine tune while sighting from the rear of the bike (looking at
    the chain clearence between the cogs). You have to do this a few times because the top pulley
    "floats" so it is harder to see if it is at the optimal center. If it has been a while, change to a
    new cable/housing set is a good idea. Remove the little O-rings/donuts inside the plastic ferrules
    to reduce friction.

    Worn chain/cassette?

  5. Scott Downie

    Scott Downie Guest

    I have changed the chain and cassette, the chain needed it bad. The problem is better, still is a
    little slow. in the middle. gears. Seems to have a harder time bigger cog to smaller cog. That is
    why I guess it might be a housing issue. What do you mean Peter by under the rear derailleur fixing
    bolt ? Under the bolt that attaches the derailleur to the dropout ? Or where the cable attaches to
    the derailleur ?

    --
    My wife and I have a difference of opinion. She thinks I need to see a shrink...I think I need a new
    bike. "Richard Chan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Scott Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi there I have a problem with shifting on my dura ace ultegra 9. I
    cannot
    > > seem to get it to shift properly. If I make adjustment with cable
    tension so
    > > it will shift up properly, it will not shift down and vice versa. I am
    only
    > > moving the barrel adjustment one notch. What are the possibilities ?
    Too
    > > sharp of a bend in the rear derailleur housing binding up the down
    shift ?
    > > Housings gummed up or dirty ? B screw adjustment ? Thanks a lot. Oh
    this
    > > bike is an AEGIS with short chain stays, this would not have any
    influence
    > > on this would it. ?
    >
    > Setting up indexing is straight forward if you do it in the right sequence. Assuming your housing
    > loop is at least 12" (I use 13/14"), Shift the STI to the highest gear, line up the upper pulley
    > to the highest cog (actually slightly toward the dropout side, pull cable "tight" and anchor.
    > Shift to different gears and use the knob to fine tune while sighting from the rear of the bike
    > (looking at the chain clearence between the cogs). You have to do this a few times because the top
    > pulley "floats" so it is harder to see if it is at the optimal center. If it has been a while,
    > change to a new cable/housing set is a good idea. Remove the little O-rings/donuts inside the
    > plastic ferrules to reduce friction.
    >
    > Worn chain/cassette?

  6. "Scott Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have changed the chain and cassette, the chain needed it bad. The
    problem
    > is better, still is a little slow. in the middle. gears. Seems to have a harder time bigger cog to
    > smaller cog. That is why I guess it might be a housing issue. What do you mean Peter by under the
    > rear derailleur fixing bolt ? Under the bolt that attaches the derailleur to the dropout ? Or
    where
    > the cable attaches to the derailleur ?

    There is a little 'lip' on the cable attaching bolt of the rear der that the cable has to come
    'over', then be clamped in the bolt. It is easy to bring the cable under the lip before clamping the
    cable. If that's done, the der won't shift properly.