ShiftMate gizmo for Campy/Shimano

Tim McTeague

Guest
After dealing with numb hands that did not quite fit my Dura-Ace STI
shifters I picked up a pair of Record Ergo shifters. I was going to get
Chorus or Centaur but Performance had the Record for $250 and I found a 20%
off coupon...presto $200! I've seen the hubbub method of cable routing, but
read mixed reviews. There is some other device that bolts on a plate that
alters the cable pull and of course I could get a Campy derailleur. What I
bought was a ShiftMate from Jtek
http://www.rideandglide.bizland.com/jtek/shiftmate.htm
I could not find any reviews, but for $35.00, and a full refund if not
satisfied, I took a chance as I have a perfectly good DA derailleur. Well,
the thing works perfectly! It actually seems to shift a little better,
especially up front. It looks sort of like the Travel Agent roller for
using older brake levers with newer Mt Bike brakes. I took a 40 mile ride
the next day and I had no hand numbness at all. The Campy shifters seem to
spread the contact patch over a wider area than Shimano. And I love the
hidden cables. I know this topic gets covered fairly often so I thought
some of you might like to know about this option. I have no affiliation
with the company. I does look less streamlined than a simple cable, and I
may add Campy derailleurs and brake calipers in a year or so, but, so far,
this seems like the best way to add Campagnolo shifters to an all Shimano
setup.

Tim McTeague

Tim McTeague said:
[...]

I bought and installed one of these as well to improve shifting with a Campagnolo Shifter/RD + Shimano cassette setup. Although it shifted acceptably without the ShiftMate, the ShiftMate did make a noticeable improvement as well and was worth the $40 to me (it's $35+$5 shiping) even through it wasn't technically necessary with my setup. There are several different methods of mixing Campy/Shimano (e.g. see: http://www.hearingoffice.com/bike.htm). I actually just added a mini-review of the ShiftMate (with a picture of it installed) on my website:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rivromulus/romulus2.html

I think it's a clever idea anyway.

Tim,

That's great your having good luck with the ShiftMate! There is now a new
website with updated information on the product.

www.jtekengineering.com

Jay

news:[email protected]...