shim 26.6 post for 27.2 seat tube

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®

Guest
I want to use my old Sake seatpost (26.6mm) for a project bike with 27.2mm
seat tube, and want to get a shim for it. However I haven't found a shim
that will take a 26.6 to fit in a 27.2 (difference betweeen the two is
..6mm). If I get a 25.4 to 26.0mm (.6mm difference) shim, will that work?

TIA.

On Aug 28, 7:26 am, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I want to use my old Sake seatpost (26.6mm) for a project bike with 27.2mm
> seat tube, and want to get a shim for it. However I haven't found a shim
> that will take a 26.6 to fit in a 27.2 (difference betweeen the two is
> .6mm). If I get a 25.4 to 26.0mm (.6mm difference) shim, will that work?
>
> TIA.

USE seems to have a good range of shims. Not sure where I saw them -
Cambria?

On Aug 27, 2:26 pm, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I want to use my old Sake seatpost (26.6mm) for a project bike with 27.2mm
> seat tube, and want to get a shim for it. However I haven't found a shim
> that will take a 26.6 to fit in a 27.2 (difference betweeen the two is
> .6mm).

>From what I've seen, bike-specific seatpost shims don't get that thin.

Try an aluminum can (they are something like .1mm thick, so around
three complete wraps for you) or .012" brass shim stock if you wanna
be fancy. Done right, these kinds of setups can work fine.

"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
>I want to use my old Sake seatpost (26.6mm) for a project bike with 27.2mm
>seat tube, and want to get a shim for it. However I haven't found a shim
>that will take a 26.6 to fit in a 27.2 (difference betweeen the two is
>.6mm). If I get a 25.4 to 26.0mm (.6mm difference) shim, will that work?
>
> TIA.

Why bother? 27.2 seat posts are ubiquitous and simple aluminum 1 bolts are
dirt cheap. Performance has one for $15 I'm sure you could get a used one
for a little as a few dollars.