Shim for Colnago stem?

Joel Rose

Guest
On my bike I have a Colnago/ITM headset and stem. The stem seems to be more than 1 1/8" and the
included shim has a lip on one end that is cut at an angle. This does not allow the spacers and stem
to sit flat along the fork steerer!? What gives?? I recently had a fitting done and it was decided
that a new stem all together would be the only solution to fix this "sketchy" set-up as the fitter
exclaimed. None of his shims could accommodate the larger than 11/8" stem.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Colnago/ITM stems and if there are any easier
solutions than to replace the entire stem??

Thanks, Joel

"Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On my bike I have a Colnago/ITM headset and stem. The stem seems to be
more
> than 1 1/8" and the included shim has a lip on one end that is cut at an angle. This does not
> allow the spacers and stem to sit flat along the fork steerer!? What gives?? I recently had a
> fitting done and it was decided
that
> a new stem all together would be the only solution to fix this "sketchy" set-up as the fitter
> exclaimed. None of his shims could accommodate the larger than 11/8" stem.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Colnago/ITM stems and if there are any easier
> solutions than to replace the entire stem??
>
> Thanks, Joel

I'd guess no. If that's the type of Colnago stem I've seen, it's designed to allow you to change the
angle by flipping the insert sleeve as well as the stem. Flipping the sleeve gives a finer
adjustment than flipping the stem. Which means it's an odd, proprietary size. The most recent
Specialized stems do this as well.

Yes that's what it seems like. It's just that with this sleeve adjustment idea, I can't get it to
line up flush and neither has anyone else who has attempted it. Nice idea but almost useless if it
won't work!?

Joel "Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On my bike I have a Colnago/ITM headset and stem. The stem seems to be
> more
> > than 1 1/8" and the included shim has a lip on one end that is cut at an angle. This does not
> > allow the spacers and stem to sit flat along the
fork
> > steerer!? What gives?? I recently had a fitting done and it was decided
> that
> > a new stem all together would be the only solution to fix this "sketchy" set-up as the fitter
> > exclaimed. None of his shims could accommodate the larger than 11/8" stem.
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Colnago/ITM stems and
if
> > there are any easier solutions than to replace the entire stem??
> >
> > Thanks, Joel
>
> I'd guess no. If that's the type of Colnago stem I've seen, it's designed to allow you to change
> the angle by flipping the insert sleeve as well as the stem. Flipping the sleeve gives a finer
> adjustment than flipping the stem. Which means it's an odd, proprietary size. The most recent
> Specialized stems do this as well.

You might just need to rotate the sleeve 180 degrees, or try putting the lip on the other side
(top/bottom) of the stem. Sounds like you have it out of whack as it should line up no problem. Not
many mechanics are familiar with these, since very few any stems use that approach. But since stem &
sleeve are made for each other, if you can't sort out how they should go together you'll have to get
a different stem. You might send an email to the Colnago importers at trialtir-usa and see if they
can point you in the right direction.

Good luck,

SB