shim for RhodeGear TrailTail?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dan baker, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. dan baker

    dan baker Guest

    I just was gifted a used RhodeGear TrailTail trail-along, and got it
    all cleaned up, BUT the hitchmount is quite a bit bigger than the
    seatpost on the bike I was going to use for it. There is a plastic
    shim in place that brings the ID down to about 1.25", and the seatpost
    I was going to use is a 26.6mm seatpost.

    Anybody know where I can get a selection of shims?

    also, I have not installed one of these before. I am assuming that you
    HAVE to leave it a little loose so that it pivots on the seatpost when
    you turn... right?

  2. dan baker

    dan baker Guest

    [email protected] (dan baker) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just was gifted a used RhodeGear TrailTail trail-along, and got it
    > all cleaned up, BUT the hitchmount is quite a bit bigger than the
    > seatpost on the bike I was going to use for it. There is a plastic
    > shim in place that brings the ID down to about 1.25", and the seatpost
    > I was going to use is a 26.6mm seatpost.
    >
    > Anybody know where I can get a selection of shims?
    > ------------------------

    ....thought I'd post my solution in case anybody comes looking later...
    I never did find any response to RhodeGear shims, or any dealer
    carrying them, so made a shim myself. Thought I'd let people know that
    its pretty easy if you:

    - get some "schedule 40 1" PVC pipe". This is the thick white plastic
    plumbing stuff.

    - cut a piece about 3" or 4" long

    - cut a slit lengthwise, with a "wide" saw like a miter saw or table
    saw to leave some room for the shim to squash down. file all edges to
    remove burrs.

    - wrap around a couple layers of duct tape on the outside of shim to
    get it to fit close to the inside of the bracket. slip into bracket,
    and leave a little sticking out the bottom.

    - drill/tap, or use self tapping screw, a small hole thru the bracket
    and shim, and install a short screw with a little locktite on it to
    hold the shim vertically inside the bracket. Be CAREFUL the screw does
    not protrude inside or it will wreck your seatpost.

    - grease lightly and install to seatpost, do not overtighten bracket
    as it needs to rotate on seatpost. be sure bracket bolts are locknuts
    so they wont back off.

    - note that the bracket shim assembly will invariably work its way
    down your seatpost until it rests on the frame, so you want to leave
    the shim sticking out the bottom a little to provide a nice wear
    surface.