Shimano 10-speed bar ends on Campy 10-speed?

james

Guest
Anyone done this in indexed mode? Any sloppiness with shifting or is
friction the way to go? While I'd like to keep Campy on the shifters, at
twice the price Shimano wins the price war. How compatible are Campy
deraileurs with Dura Ace bar ends?

james wrote:
> Anyone done this in indexed mode? Any sloppiness with shifting or is
> friction the way to go? While I'd like to keep Campy on the shifters, at
> twice the price Shimano wins the price war. How compatible are Campy
> deraileurs with Dura Ace bar ends?

Friction is the only way to go..Campag and shimano 10s 'stuff',
shifters and rear derailleurs are not compatible.

BUT remember that altho shimano barends last pretty long, Campag ones
are rebuildable and will last forever.

Vielen dank. Yes, Campy is rebuildable, but considering it's on my TT rig I
won't be getting the wear and tear that I get on my road bikes. Even then,
my Campy stuff lasts forever without even needing a rebuild. I've got one
Chorus shifter in need of a spring - may have to send your way!

I can probably live with friction. I may be running a variety of cassettes
(8 spd 12-19, 10 spd 12-23, etc) and the versatility would be nice.

> james wrote:
> > Anyone done this in indexed mode? Any sloppiness with shifting or is
> > friction the way to go? While I'd like to keep Campy on the shifters,

at
> > twice the price Shimano wins the price war. How compatible are Campy
> > deraileurs with Dura Ace bar ends?

> Friction is the only way to go..Campag and shimano 10s 'stuff',
> shifters and rear derailleurs are not compatible.
>
> BUT remember that altho shimano barends last pretty long, Campag ones
> are rebuildable and will last forever.

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 03:11:29 GMT, "james" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Anyone done this in indexed mode? Any sloppiness with shifting or is
>friction the way to go? While I'd like to keep Campy on the shifters, at
>twice the price Shimano wins the price war. How compatible are Campy
>deraileurs with Dura Ace bar ends?

I think you'll be friction shifting. There is a chance that attaching
the rear derailleur cable on top of the screw instead of underneath,
you may shift Shimano 10 acceptably.

"james" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Vielen dank. Yes, Campy is rebuildable, but considering it's on my TT rig I
>won't be getting the wear and tear that I get on my road bikes. Even then,
>my Campy stuff lasts forever without even needing a rebuild. I've got one
>Chorus shifter in need of a spring - may have to send your way!
>
>I can probably live with friction. I may be running a variety of cassettes
>(8 spd 12-19, 10 spd 12-23, etc) and the versatility would be nice.

That's exactly what I did on my TT bike. After my infamous
"head-tackling a pickup truck incident", I had to replace the bar end
shifters. I opted to go (sorry Peter...) Shimano, so I could use the
variety of 8 and 9-speed wheels/cassettes I have laying around.
Besides, it gives me something to fiddle with while TTing.

Mark "keep... mind.... off.... pain..." Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "james" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Vielen dank. Yes, Campy is rebuildable, but considering it's on my TT rig I
> >won't be getting the wear and tear that I get on my road bikes. Even then,
> >my Campy stuff lasts forever without even needing a rebuild. I've got one
> >Chorus shifter in need of a spring - may have to send your way!
> >
> >I can probably live with friction. I may be running a variety of cassettes
> >(8 spd 12-19, 10 spd 12-23, etc) and the versatility would be nice.

> That's exactly what I did on my TT bike. After my infamous
> "head-tackling a pickup truck incident", I had to replace the bar end
> shifters. I opted to go (sorry Peter...) Shimano, so I could use the
> variety of 8 and 9-speed wheels/cassettes I have laying around.
> Besides, it gives me something to fiddle with while TTing.

I hear your bike crying from here.......8'-(

maxo wrote:
> got $35?
>
> Get a shift-mate:
>
> http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Shiftmate.asp
>
> should allow the Italians and Japanese to tango nicely.

I would say they will 'tango' like a couple who are just learning to
dance, maybe after 2 or 3 lessons. Not like even the people on 'Dancing
with the stars', more like Irma and Harvey on a Saturday night in
Wisconsin.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> I would say they will 'tango' like a couple who are just learning to
> dance, maybe after 2 or 3 lessons. Not like even the people on 'Dancing
> with the stars', more like Irma and Harvey on a Saturday night in
> Wisconsin.

Remind me to never invite you out for country and western line dancing.
:p

I've got a Campagnolo bb spindle and I'll have you know that it cha cha
chas rather well with some SKF bearings and a vintage Suntour crankset.

Can't we all just get along.

:D

maxo wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> > I would say they will 'tango' like a couple who are just learning to
> > dance, maybe after 2 or 3 lessons. Not like even the people on 'Dancing
> > with the stars', more like Irma and Harvey on a Saturday night in
> > Wisconsin.

> Remind me to never invite you out for country and western line dancing.
> :p
>
> I've got a Campagnolo bb spindle and I'll have you know that it cha cha
> chas rather well with some SKF bearings and a vintage Suntour crankset.
>
> Can't we all just get along.
>
> :D

That's cuz Suntour and Campagnolo speak the same language....not
shimano and Campagnolo tho.

8-l).....

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:

>> That's exactly what I did on my TT bike. After my infamous
>> "head-tackling a pickup truck incident", I had to replace the bar end
>> shifters. I opted to go (sorry Peter...) Shimano, so I could use the
>> variety of 8 and 9-speed wheels/cassettes I have laying around.
>> Besides, it gives me something to fiddle with while TTing.

>I hear your bike crying from here.......8'-(

S'Okay - I told the derailleurs that I put Super Record friction
shifters on a aerobar bridge. They're pretty, but they ain't all that
bright...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com