Shimano 10 speed cog spacing

Peter Vesel

Guest
From the new Dura-ace catalogue at the Bicycling Australia Show

10 speed cog width 1.6mm 10 speed spacer width 2.35mm
=3.95mm spacing

comparing to Campag from Sheldon's site 10 speed cog 1.7 mm 10 speed spacer 2.42 mm
=4.12 spacing

Don't know if this has been posted before, but I know I hadn't seen it

peter

Peter Vesel wrote:

> Don't know if this has been posted before, but I know I hadn't seen it

I haven't seen it before. Thanks very much for posting the info.

cheers ~PB

"Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shimano was boxed into a corner on this. They needed a 10-speed system because Campy had one. They
> also had to produce a cog spacing that was different enough from Campy's 10-speed so as to not to
> be compatible. However, they were limited by the 130mm rear stay spacing in road bikes. Only one
> way to go... really thin.
>
> Next question: does this mean that Campy 10-speed chains will be too thick for Shimano cogsets?

It's hard to imagine 17 one-hundreths of a millimeter making that much of a difference.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

think you have to add 1/2 thediffernce in cog thickness to spacer difference, so it 22/100ths.
perhaps enough to make noisey. over ten cogs would that be 9x.22mm? of about a spoke's diameter?

"Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Shimano was boxed into a corner on this. They needed a 10-speed system because Campy had one.
> > They also had to produce a cog spacing that was different enough from Campy's 10-speed so as to
> > not to be compatible. However, they were limited by the 130mm rear stay spacing in road bikes.
> > Only one way to go... really thin.
> >
> > Next question: does this mean that Campy 10-speed chains will be too
thick
> > for Shimano cogsets?
>
> It's hard to imagine 17 one-hundreths of a millimeter making that much of
> difference.
>

> > "Peter Vesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> > > From the new Dura-ace catalogue at the Bicycling Australia Show
> > >
> > > 10 speed cog width 1.6mm 10 speed spacer width 2.35mm
> > > =3.95mm spacing
> > >
> > > comparing to Campag from Sheldon's site 10 speed cog 1.7 mm 10 speed spacer 2.42 mm
> > > =4.12 spacing
> > >
> > > Don't know if this has been posted before, but I know I hadn't seen it
> > >

> --
> Robin Hubert <[email protected]>

The chain is listed as 5.88mm to the outside of the plates (9speed was/is
6.57) and the inside is unchanged at 2.32mm. I don't have a campag reference handy.

Peter

news:[email protected]...