Shimano 10 speed cog spacing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Peter Vesel, Sep 7, 2003.

  1. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    From the new Dura-ace catalogue at the Bicycling Australia Show

    10 speed cog width 1.6mm 10 speed spacer width 2.35mm
    =3.95mm spacing

    comparing to Campag from Sheldon's site 10 speed cog 1.7 mm 10 speed spacer 2.42 mm
    =4.12 spacing

    Don't know if this has been posted before, but I know I hadn't seen it

    peter

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Peter Vesel wrote:

    > Don't know if this has been posted before, but I know I hadn't seen it

    I haven't seen it before. Thanks very much for posting the info.

    cheers ~PB

  3. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shimano was boxed into a corner on this. They needed a 10-speed system because Campy had one. They
    > also had to produce a cog spacing that was different enough from Campy's 10-speed so as to not to
    > be compatible. However, they were limited by the 130mm rear stay spacing in road bikes. Only one
    > way to go... really thin.
    >
    > Next question: does this mean that Campy 10-speed chains will be too thick for Shimano cogsets?

    It's hard to imagine 17 one-hundreths of a millimeter making that much of a difference.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  4. Wannagofast

    Wannagofast Guest

    think you have to add 1/2 thediffernce in cog thickness to spacer difference, so it 22/100ths.
    perhaps enough to make noisey. over ten cogs would that be 9x.22mm? of about a spoke's diameter?

    "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Shimano was boxed into a corner on this. They needed a 10-speed system because Campy had one.
    > > They also had to produce a cog spacing that was different enough from Campy's 10-speed so as to
    > > not to be compatible. However, they were limited by the 130mm rear stay spacing in road bikes.
    > > Only one way to go... really thin.
    > >
    > > Next question: does this mean that Campy 10-speed chains will be too
    thick
    > > for Shimano cogsets?
    >
    > It's hard to imagine 17 one-hundreths of a millimeter making that much of
    > difference.
    >

    > > "Peter Vesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:p[email protected]...
    > > > From the new Dura-ace catalogue at the Bicycling Australia Show
    > > >
    > > > 10 speed cog width 1.6mm 10 speed spacer width 2.35mm
    > > > =3.95mm spacing
    > > >
    > > > comparing to Campag from Sheldon's site 10 speed cog 1.7 mm 10 speed spacer 2.42 mm
    > > > =4.12 spacing
    > > >
    > > > Don't know if this has been posted before, but I know I hadn't seen it
    > > >

    > --
    > Robin Hubert <[email protected]>

  5. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    The chain is listed as 5.88mm to the outside of the plates (9speed was/is
    6.57) and the inside is unchanged at 2.32mm. I don't have a campag reference handy.

    Peter

    news:[email protected]...