Shimano 10-Speed Ultegra Chain Prone To Spontaneous Disassembly?

Steve Sr.

Guest
Hello,

I have a relatively new bike with about 1000 miles on it. Today on a
ride I dropped the chain. When I looked down the chain was nowhere to
be seen. It was 100 yards back in the middle of the road!

Initially I thought that the Wipperman Connex link had come undone but
when I retrieved the pieces and on inspection both side plates had
come off of a regular link. The pin was left in the link on the other
other end of the break.

Does anyone know if this particular chain design is prone to problems
like this? This is the first time that I can remember having a chain
break on me.

The only suspicious thing about this break is that it occurred only
2-3 links from the end of the chain. Almost like the person who built
the bike originally cut the chain too short and then went back and
added these links back in without using Shimano's special replacement
pins which the shop probably didn't have.

Thanks,

Steve

I suspect that your hypothesis about re-assembly is correct. I had that
happen to me once with a Campy 10 chain opened and reclosed by LBS
without the proprietary link. Although I don't own 10 speed Shimano, I
saw lots of it used on the East Cross cross circuit this year without
problems. Since it holds up to that kind of abuse (and there aren't
regular reports of failures on this and other fora), it's likely that
you have identified your problem.

Lou

Steve Sr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a relatively new bike with about 1000 miles on it. Today on a
> ride I dropped the chain. When I looked down the chain was nowhere to
> be seen. It was 100 yards back in the middle of the road!
>
> Initially I thought that the Wipperman Connex link had come undone but
> when I retrieved the pieces and on inspection both side plates had
> come off of a regular link. The pin was left in the link on the other
> other end of the break.
>
> Does anyone know if this particular chain design is prone to problems
> like this? This is the first time that I can remember having a chain
> break on me.
>
> The only suspicious thing about this break is that it occurred only
> 2-3 links from the end of the chain. Almost like the person who built
> the bike originally cut the chain too short and then went back and
> added these links back in without using Shimano's special replacement
> pins which the shop probably didn't have.

If the chain is reconected w/o the 'pin' and/or in the wrong
direction(read the chain directions), it will come apart. Either use a
new shimano 10s chain with a wipperman or,other link or use a 10s chain
from Wipperman, with the link. Or now a 5.9mm Campag chain, but still
with the link.

Steve Sr. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a relatively new bike with about 1000 miles on it. Today on a
> ride I dropped the chain. When I looked down the chain was nowhere to
> be seen. It was 100 yards back in the middle of the road!
>
> Initially I thought that the Wipperman Connex link had come undone but
> when I retrieved the pieces and on inspection both side plates had
> come off of a regular link. The pin was left in the link on the other
> other end of the break.
>
> Does anyone know if this particular chain design is prone to problems
> like this? This is the first time that I can remember having a chain
> break on me.
>
> The only suspicious thing about this break is that it occurred only
> 2-3 links from the end of the chain. Almost like the person who built
> the bike originally cut the chain too short and then went back and
> added these links back in without using Shimano's special replacement
> pins which the shop probably didn't have.

Yep, sounds like that to me, too.
I would have a talk with the shop owner or service manager
before somebody gets hurt/killed. Then after nicely
informing him/her of the problem, pick up your new free chain.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On 22 Jan 2006 06:38:43 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Steve Sr. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a relatively new bike with about 1000 miles on it. Today on a
>> ride I dropped the chain. When I looked down the chain was nowhere to
>> be seen. It was 100 yards back in the middle of the road!
>>
>> Initially I thought that the Wipperman Connex link had come undone but
>> when I retrieved the pieces and on inspection both side plates had
>> come off of a regular link. The pin was left in the link on the other
>> other end of the break.
>>
>> Does anyone know if this particular chain design is prone to problems
>> like this? This is the first time that I can remember having a chain
>> break on me.
>>
>> The only suspicious thing about this break is that it occurred only
>> 2-3 links from the end of the chain. Almost like the person who built
>> the bike originally cut the chain too short and then went back and
>> added these links back in without using Shimano's special replacement
>> pins which the shop probably didn't have.

>If the chain is reconected w/o the 'pin' and/or in the wrong
>direction(read the chain directions), it will come apart. Either use a
>new shimano 10s chain with a wipperman or,other link or use a 10s chain
>from Wipperman, with the link. Or now a 5.9mm Campag chain, but still
>with the link.

Peter,

Are you saying that the "chain" is directional or just the Wippermann
quick link? I know that the Wippermann is directional which is a big
liability for dislexic riders/mechanics like me! :) Unfortunately
Sram didn't and still doesn't to my knowledge make a superlink for
Shimano 10 speed.

Steve

Steve Sr. wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Are you saying that the "chain" is directional or just the Wippermann
> quick link? I know that the Wippermann is directional which is a big
> liability for dislexic riders/mechanics like me! :) Unfortunately
> Sram didn't and still doesn't to my knowledge make a superlink for
> Shimano 10 speed.
>
> Steve

The shimano 10s chain links are directional in the sense that on the
top portion of the chain, the 'pulling' section MUST be the inside
portion of the link, when fastening together. With the outside trailing
and the pin should be installed insdie to outside. Never trim the
outside portion of the chain, just the inside sections.

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:57:44 -0500, Steve Sr. <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Unfortunately
>Sram didn't and still doesn't to my knowledge make a superlink for
>Shimano 10 speed.

The 9sp Sram link works fine.