shimano 10 speed vs 9 speed, dura ace - spot the difference

BullGod

Apr 6, 2006
this is gonna sound really dumb, but....

I have 2 bikes....a trek madone frame (new) with older dura ace groupset. also have a cinelli unica, new this year.

i've been chopping and changing wheels and cassettes over the season, and now i need to replace chains. problem is that one cassette is 10 speed, the other 9....and i don't know which bike is which as far as putting the right chain on is concerned. at the moment the 9 speed is on the cinelli, which i'm fairly certain was the original case, but i can't be sure as most newer bikes should be 10....

does anyone know how you can tell the difference? is there somewhere on the groupset where you can see the specs?

BullGod said:
does anyone know how you can tell the difference? is there somewhere on the groupset where you can see the specs?
The casette lock-ring on Shimano is usually labeled with the model number. Also, shimano 10 speed spacer rings for the cassette sometimes say 10 S right on them.

You can also run through the # of clicks on the right hand shifter - 8 for 9 speed, 9 for 10.

You're kidding, right? Look at the shifters, they are very different shapes. As far as cassettes go just start with 1 and count until you're done.

Am I missing something in your original questions?