Shimano 10-Speed

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Kunich, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    I've talked to several shop owners lately about the Shimano 10-speed stuff and was sort of surprised
    at what they had to say.

    Apparently it is very time consuming (civilians would probably say "difficult") to get the thing set
    up and shifting reliably. That surprised me because if there's one thing I've never had any problems
    with Shimano, it's getting their STI stuff to come in bang on with no work.

    Anyone here had any experience with it? I ask the question here because I figure that racers are a
    heck of a lot more likely to have been the first to run out and buy this stuff.

    Tags:

  2. > Apparently it is very time consuming (civilians would probably say "difficult") to get the thing
    > set up and shifting reliably. That surprised me because if there's one thing I've never had any
    > problems with Shimano, it's getting their STI stuff to come in bang on with no work.

    Wow, a bit different than my experience. Very easy to set up, particularly the rear shifting. In my
    opinion, Shimano has made significant advances in the shift levers. The only thing I'm not thrilled
    with is the bottom bracket, but that's never been a strongpoint of DuraAce.

    news:IeT%[email protected]...
    > I've talked to several shop owners lately about the Shimano 10-speed stuff and was sort of
    > surprised at what they had to say.
    >
    > Apparently it is very time consuming (civilians would probably say "difficult") to get the thing
    > set up and shifting reliably. That surprised me because if there's one thing I've never had any
    > problems with Shimano, it's getting their STI stuff to come in bang on with no work.
    >
    > Anyone here had any experience with it? I ask the question here because I figure that racers are a
    > heck of a lot more likely to have been the first
    > run out and buy this stuff.

  3. Evan Evans

    Evan Evans Guest

    Two of my riding buddies. Who manage two different bike shops in the suburbs of Atlanta. Both die-
    hard campy guys. Honestly believe the new DA 10 is the best shifting group made. Sounds like you
    just need a good wrench ;)

  4. Evan Evans

    Evan Evans Guest

    My only complaint is that the move up from tiagra to Da10 is not likely to happen soon.

  5. Jr

    Jr Guest

    But isn't the front derailleur trimming still the shits with shitmano???

    "Evan Evans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My only complaint is that the move up from tiagra to Da10 is not likely to happen soon.

  6. Isn't the new b.b. better than the old D.A. stuff? What don't you like about the new b.b.? You can't
    use any other type of b.b. with that new D.A. crank can you?

  7. ...sorry, that last post was intended for Mike J.

    "Brian Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Isn't the new b.b. better than the old D.A. stuff? What don't you like
    about
    > the new b.b.? You can't use any other type of b.b. with that new D.A.
    crank
    > can you?

  8. Mike,

    Do you actually think they surpassed the DA 9 bottom bracket? I thought that was the pinnacle of
    engineering perfection! The only thing missing was wooden ball bearing retainer rings. They somehow
    chose to use the plastic...

    Bruce

    news:jlV%[email protected]...
    > > Apparently it is very time consuming (civilians would probably say "difficult") to get the thing
    > > set up and shifting reliably. That
    surprised
    > > me because if there's one thing I've never had any problems with
    Shimano,
    > > it's getting their STI stuff to come in bang on with no work.
    >
    > Wow, a bit different than my experience. Very easy to set up,
    particularly
    > the rear shifting. In my opinion, Shimano has made significant advances
    in
    > the shift levers. The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the bottom bracket, but that's never
    > been a strongpoint of DuraAce.

    > news:IeT%[email protected]...
    > > I've talked to several shop owners lately about the Shimano 10-speed
    stuff
    > > and was sort of surprised at what they had to say.
    > >
    > > Apparently it is very time consuming (civilians would probably say "difficult") to get the thing
    > > set up and shifting reliably. That
    surprised
    > > me because if there's one thing I've never had any problems with
    Shimano,
    > > it's getting their STI stuff to come in bang on with no work.
    > >
    > > Anyone here had any experience with it? I ask the question here because
    > > figure that racers are a heck of a lot more likely to have been the
    first
    > > run out and buy this stuff.

  9. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Bruce Gilbert wrote:

    > Mike,
    >
    > Do you actually think they surpassed the DA 9 bottom bracket? I thought that was the pinnacle of
    > engineering perfection! The only thing missing was wooden ball bearing retainer rings. They
    > somehow chose to use the plastic...

    Some would say the Duraace BB was pretty bio-degradable even without the wood once water was added.

  10. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    I was on the phone w/SHimano the day before yesterday and they told me that I could be pedaling
    out of the saddle and then shift the front derailleur without any problems. It was designed for
    this abuse, they claim. All my life I have let off when shifting the front and I doubt that I will
    ever get used to being able to maintain full throttle while doing this, but it is nice to know
    that it is OK.

    In fact, shimano told me all sorts of things and many of which were pure speculation. Those guys
    sure do like to talk, I was having a hard time getting him off the line without being rude. It was
    my nickel so I guess they like to chit-chat when it doesn't cost 'em anything.

    Dave