Shimano 10-Speed

T

Tom Kunich

I've talked to several shop owners lately about the Shimano 10-speed stuff and was sort of surprised
at what they had to say.

Apparently it is very time consuming (civilians would probably say "difficult") to get the thing set
up and shifting reliably. That surprised me because if there's one thing I've never had any problems
with Shimano, it's getting their STI stuff to come in bang on with no work.

Anyone here had any experience with it? I ask the question here because I figure that racers are a
heck of a lot more likely to have been the first to run out and buy this stuff.

> Apparently it is very time consuming (civilians would probably say "difficult") to get the thing
> set up and shifting reliably. That surprised me because if there's one thing I've never had any
> problems with Shimano, it's getting their STI stuff to come in bang on with no work.

Wow, a bit different than my experience. Very easy to set up, particularly the rear shifting. In my
opinion, Shimano has made significant advances in the shift levers. The only thing I'm not thrilled
with is the bottom bracket, but that's never been a strongpoint of DuraAce.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:IeT%[email protected]...
> I've talked to several shop owners lately about the Shimano 10-speed stuff and was sort of
> surprised at what they had to say.
>
> Apparently it is very time consuming (civilians would probably say "difficult") to get the thing
> set up and shifting reliably. That surprised me because if there's one thing I've never had any
> problems with Shimano, it's getting their STI stuff to come in bang on with no work.
>
> Anyone here had any experience with it? I ask the question here because I figure that racers are a
> heck of a lot more likely to have been the first
to
> run out and buy this stuff.

Two of my riding buddies. Who manage two different bike shops in the suburbs of Atlanta. Both die-
hard campy guys. Honestly believe the new DA 10 is the best shifting group made. Sounds like you
just need a good wrench ;)

My only complaint is that the move up from tiagra to Da10 is not likely to happen soon.

Isn't the new b.b. better than the old D.A. stuff? What don't you like about the new b.b.? You can't
use any other type of b.b. with that new D.A. crank can you?

...sorry, that last post was intended for Mike J.

"Brian Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Isn't the new b.b. better than the old D.A. stuff? What don't you like
about
> the new b.b.? You can't use any other type of b.b. with that new D.A.
crank
> can you?

Mike,

Do you actually think they surpassed the DA 9 bottom bracket? I thought that was the pinnacle of
engineering perfection! The only thing missing was wooden ball bearing retainer rings. They somehow
chose to use the plastic...

Bruce

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:jlV%[email protected]...
> > Apparently it is very time consuming (civilians would probably say "difficult") to get the thing
> > set up and shifting reliably. That
surprised
> > me because if there's one thing I've never had any problems with
Shimano,
> > it's getting their STI stuff to come in bang on with no work.
>
> Wow, a bit different than my experience. Very easy to set up,
particularly
> the rear shifting. In my opinion, Shimano has made significant advances
in
> the shift levers. The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the bottom bracket, but that's never
> been a strongpoint of DuraAce.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>
>
> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:IeT%[email protected]...
> > I've talked to several shop owners lately about the Shimano 10-speed
stuff
> > and was sort of surprised at what they had to say.
> >
> > Apparently it is very time consuming (civilians would probably say "difficult") to get the thing
> > set up and shifting reliably. That
surprised
> > me because if there's one thing I've never had any problems with
Shimano,
> > it's getting their STI stuff to come in bang on with no work.
> >
> > Anyone here had any experience with it? I ask the question here because
I
> > figure that racers are a heck of a lot more likely to have been the
first
> to
> > run out and buy this stuff.
> >
>

Bruce Gilbert wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Do you actually think they surpassed the DA 9 bottom bracket? I thought that was the pinnacle of
> engineering perfection! The only thing missing was wooden ball bearing retainer rings. They
> somehow chose to use the plastic...
>
Some would say the Duraace BB was pretty bio-degradable even without the wood once water was added.

I was on the phone w/SHimano the day before yesterday and they told me that I could be pedaling
out of the saddle and then shift the front derailleur without any problems. It was designed for
this abuse, they claim. All my life I have let off when shifting the front and I doubt that I will
ever get used to being able to maintain full throttle while doing this, but it is nice to know
that it is OK.

In fact, shimano told me all sorts of things and many of which were pure speculation. Those guys
sure do like to talk, I was having a hard time getting him off the line without being rude. It was
my nickel so I guess they like to chit-chat when it doesn't cost 'em anything.

Dave

"Evan Evans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Two of my riding buddies. Who manage two different bike shops in the suburbs of Atlanta. Both die-
> hard campy guys. Honestly believe the new DA 10 is the best shifting group made. Sounds like you
> just need a good wrench ;)