Shimano 105 11 Speed Is Here! Do You Care?

Originally Posted by Froze
a 12 speed in the future? Perhaps, but I think they'll probably go to a CVT type of system instead, or perhaps after a 12 speed is introduced? I don't know, but sooner or later CVT will become the standard.
The only production CVT I've seen so far is the NuVinci N360. With a gear width of 360% and a weight of 2.45kg, I don't think I'd choose CVT just yet. Which is too bad; I really like CVT. As Sheldon Brown says...
Quote: The Perfect Bicycle If you had a perfect bicycle, with an infinite number of gears, you would always be pedaling at the same cadence, with the same amount of resistance to the pedals. Of course, the bike would go slower uphill, and faster downhill, but your legs would not know the difference.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

Originally Posted by Owboduz
The only production CVT I've seen so far is the NuVinci N360. With a gear width of 360% and a weight of 2.45kg, I don't think I'd choose CVT just yet. Which is too bad; I really like CVT. As Sheldon Brown says...
http://sheldonbrown.com/gears.html
The weight issue should be temporary, if they really want to market this to the masses the industry will figure out a way to lighten it up considerably and reduce the gear width at the same time. Don't think they will or can lighten it up, consider this, that version is already a smaller version then found in some cars and people said back when they came out in cars they wouldn't be able to lighten those up, in fact prior to putting them in cars they were about 500 pounds heavier than the models that eventually went into cars. Industry will find a way to lighten it up, it will take time of course.

you know you can use Tiagra, Ultegra and Dura Ace among others and those cassettes comes in various gearing ratios

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Quote by OBC:
"Being able to maintain cadence on climbs has been a boon to racer and duffer alike."

I'm beyond the ability of gearing to help.

I need EPO and lots of it!
cool.png
Me too, I'm afraid.