Shimano (105) 5500 vs 5600 vs (tiagra) 4500 shifters

scheckler

Dec 24, 2009
Hello! I'm new to the forum and have a simple question.

How do the new generation 105 shifters (5600) compare to last generation (5500)? Besides the jump from 9 to 10 speed.

Durability and tendency to have a problem are my biggest concerns but I'm curious about the rest as well.

also, How do the old 5500's compare to the new 4500's?

I'm looking at purchasing a new to me road bike and I've got options with old 105 stuff and other options with new 105 and tiagra stuff.

Thanks!

scheckler said:

How do the new generation 105 shifters (5600) compare to last generation (5500)? Besides the jump from 9 to 10 speed.

Durability and tendency to have a problem are my biggest concerns but I'm curious about the rest as well.

I'm looking at purchasing a new to me road bike and I've got options with old 105 stuff and other options with new 105 and tiagra stuff.

Thanks!

All the newer 10s and newer 9s stuff(like Tiagra/2008/9 stuff) are redesigned and shown to be much more durable that the 9s, 7700/6500 era. Both the 4500s and 5600 have great action, that makes some wonder why spending lots of $ on the 7800/7900/6700 is worth it.

scheckler said:

Thanks!

I have bikes with Tiagra 4500, 105 (5600) and Ultegra (6700). I can honestly say that there's not much difference in shifter performance. The Tiagra and new Ultegra are reach adjustable using shims. I don't like the plastic tops of the Tiagra and 105 which can break quiet easily when the shifter are bumped. The new Ultegra is a much better design in this regard and also routes the shifter cables via the handlebars.

scheckler said:

FWIW. I think that if 'durability' is truly a concern, then you may want to consider swapping whichever SHIMANO shifters (which are pretty good for most people for most conditions) which come on the bike you buy for a pair of non-QS, 10-speed CAMPAGNOLO shifters because Campagnolo shifters can be rebuilt ...

That is, choose the frame & wheel combination that fits your budget, remove the shifters and/or cassette before you ride the bike, and sell them on eBay ... then (or, in anticpation of getting the new bike), buy the fore mentioned Campagnolo shifters on eBay, through mail order OR from your LBS + a the 9-speed Shimano cassette which has the cogset you want to use ... if you buy-and-sell to effect the swap on eBay, then you'll probably break-even or even be money ahead because of the premium that Shimano shifters seem to command over Campagnolo shifters (a residual of the Lance Effect).

The 10-speed Campagnolo shifters will readily index to an 8-or-9-speed Shimano drivetrain ... the hubbub.com alternate rear derailleur anchoring at 3 o'clock expedites the shifting when using an 8-/9-speed rear derailleur ... and, should (but, I haven't tested it) also index to a 10-speed cassette if you again use the hubbub.com anchoring + a 10-speed rear derailleur.

In addition to Campagnolo shifters being capable of being rebuilt, I think Campagnolo shifters shift better; and, the better shifting, alone, would be reason enough to make the change, IMO.

Campag 10 speed ergo levers, with a Campag rear derailleur, shifts perfectly with a Shimano 9 hub/cassette.