Shimano 105 5700 Double 10 Shifters Compatibility with SRAM Apex group?

Edward Pick

Jan 12, 2015
Hello!

Recently my SRAM Apex right shifter decided to call it quits. I tore the shifter unit apart and discovered the ratcheting mechanism no longer engages with the shifter barrel. When I inspected the shifter mechanism, I noticed there was a lot of slop between the two components. Unfortunately, there's no way to fix it. Regardless, it's performed well for the time I have had it. I've had it for about 3 years with effortless shifting. However, during that time I did have a cycling accident in which the bike fell to the ground on the right side. Upon inspection, there was some superficial damage on the shifter and housing. But as time wore on, the shfiting became inconsistent and skipped sometimes. I'm pretty sure the accident damaged the alignment of the components inside the housing. Sigh.

Now, I'm looking for an alternative to the Apex shifters and found Shimano 105 5700 shifters.
Will these shifters work fine with the Apex grouping?

Thank you

Originally Posted by Edward Pick Now, I'm looking for an alternative to the Apex shifters and found Shimano 105 5700 shifters.
Will these shifters work fine with the Apex grouping?

Thank you
Nope. The pull rates are very different, 1:1 for SRAM and 1:1.7 for Shimano. That means SRAM shifters pull almost twice as much cable per click.

See your dealer about replacement SRAM levers. SRAM has had a generous warranty policy, and they might have a crash replacement program.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Nope. The pull rates are very different, 1:1 for SRAM and 1:1.7 for Shimano. That means SRAM shifters pull almost twice as much cable per click.

See your dealer about replacement SRAM levers. SRAM has had a generous warranty policy, and they might have a crash replacement program.

Thanks for your help. Now, can I go ahead and use optional SRAM levers like, the Rival, Force, and Red? They both use the same pull rates ( I checked on SRAM's website).

Remember that Red, Force, and Rival are available in 11-speed, but it looks like the 10-speed versions are still in production. 11-speed uses the "yaw" front derailleur that eliminates the need for trim.

Campagnolo 10-speed shifters are functionally interchangeable with 10-speed SRAM shifters.

Originally Posted by alfeng

Campagnolo 10-speed shifters are functionally interchangeable with 10-speed SRAM shifters.
According to Lennard Zinn on velonews.com, this works (http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/03/bikes-and-tech/can-you-run-campy-shifters-with-a-sram-drivetrain-sure-why-not_73404). But the actual pull per click on the rear shifters is 3.1 mm for SRAM and 3.0 mm for Campagnolo. After 9 clicks, the difference is 0.9 mm. If you set your baseline from the middle of the cassette, then, I guess the Campy shifter undershoots by only 0.45 mm on either end. Buyer beware.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat

According to Lennard Zinn on velonews.com, this works (http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/03/bikes-and-tech/can-you-run-campy-shifters-with-a-sram-drivetrain-sure-why-not_73404). But the actual pull per click on the rear shifters is 3.1 mm for SRAM and 3.0 mm for Campagnolo. After 9 clicks, the difference is 0.9 mm. If you set your baseline from the middle of the cassette, then, I guess the Campy shifter undershoots by only 0.45 mm on either end. Buyer beware.
The ever-improving, post-1998 ramping on the Cogs of almost ALL modern Cassettes (regardless of the number of Cogs!!!) makes them compatible with Campagnolo shifters of ANY generation ...

• that is, less than 1.0mm difference from the ideal over the span of a Cassette is hardly a problem for any shifter which is not handicapped with "dwell" ...
  • too great a mismatch will simply result in some Cogs being skipped over so, a comparatively rare 9-speed Campagnolo shifter will only find eight Cogs on a 9-speed Shiimano Cassette
  • et cetera