Shimano 105 5700 Flight Deck

UnbelievablyRed

Jan 17, 2012
Are none of the Shimano 105 5700 series levers built to work with the Flight Deck computer? I've done a bunch of searches, but all I come up with are results that say "NOT compatible with 5700." Did shimano just give up on this concept? I thought it was cool...

If the Flight Deck won't work with my shifters, any recommendations on a computer that does speed, cadence, and HR? Preferrably without braking the bank.

Thanks!

If you see a raised nub on the inside facing surface of the 5700 shifter's hoods, then the shifter can accept the appropriate Flight Deck harness.

Cateye: they last forever, good choice of different models with more or with less functions for you to decide, accurate readings, easy setup

I have the Flight Deck in one of my bikes, its cool but misses some obvious functions like automatic startup, navigation and setup are not that intuitive, if you decide to change the rear cassette for a different one with different teeth you need to enter everything again, not just the particular new cassette. And like you just found out, the computer is tight to a specific STI model, its not a Universal system not even for Shimano's levers,

My biggest disappointment in the Flight Deck is the virtual cadence. I look like Superman on my Flight Deck when I am coasting down my favorite decline and the cadence is reading 140. It really boosts the average cadence for that ride.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

My biggest disappointment in the Flight Deck is the virtual cadence. I look like Superman on my Flight Deck when I am coasting down my favorite decline and the cadence is reading 140. It really boosts the average cadence for that ride.
Yeah, I don't know why they bothered to add virtual cadence.

This'll be a bit skew to the topic, but the introduction of e-gruppos to the world by Shimano will likely result in Shimano bringing out a new computer with cool features. Some interesting things can be reported with a computer wired into the shifting and drive train circuits. Shimano could very well integrate power measurement into their system, both in the computer head and the group hardware. Campy could very well do the same thing.