shimano 105 derailleurs exploded view

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Fred, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I would appreciate some info please re the above. I've
    dismantled and cleaned and greased the rear derailleur, but
    found when I wanted to reassemble, that one of the wheels
    had a double bush ( if I make myself clear) and the other
    wheel was only a single bush bearing assembly. My question,
    why the difference and which pulley should be where in the
    reassembled mechanism? ( I assumed both would be identical
    and took no notice of this variation when dismantling -
    dooh) I hope you know what I mean - is there more strain at
    the bottom part of the derailleur or does the wheel nearest
    the sprockets have a rougher time? TIA Fred

    Tags:

  2. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    I wish I sent you this before you started:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_deroh.shtml
    Not a 105, but this might help:
    http://tinyurl.com/32m7g

  3. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    "Fred" <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I would appreciate some info please re the above. I've
    > dismantled and cleaned and greased the rear derailleur,
    > but found when I wanted to reassemble, that one of the
    > wheels had a double bush ( if I make myself clear) and
    > the other wheel was only a single bush bearing assembly.
    > My question, why the difference and which pulley should
    > be where in the reassembled mechanism? ( I assumed both
    > would be identical and took no notice of this variation
    > when dismantling - dooh) I hope you know what I mean - is
    > there more strain at the bottom part of the derailleur or
    > does the wheel nearest the sprockets have a rougher time?
    > TIA Fred

    Dear Fred,

    I think that I've asked a similar question, but I forget
    what the collective wisdom was. You can find a variety of
    answers through this link:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8bbde8fc.0401141900.59-
    20ab82%40posting.google.com&output=gplain

    I replaced my haughtily different pair of non-identical
    plastic pulleys with some metal ones and have been
    pleased so far.

    Good luck,

    Carl Fogel

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Fred" <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I would appreciate some info please re the above. I've
    > dismantled and cleaned and greased the rear derailleur,
    > but found when I wanted to reassemble, that one of the
    > wheels had a double bush ( if I make myself clear) and the
    > other wheel was only a single bush bearing assembly.

    The upper pulley has some sideways float and is marked
    "Centeron", the lower pulley does not.

    This has been covered many times. Here's a link to a recent
    discussion: http://tinyurl.com/3hdc5

    Jeff

  5. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    "Fred" <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I would appreciate some info please re the above. I've
    > dismantled and cleaned and greased the rear derailleur,
    > but found when I wanted to reassemble, that one of the
    > wheels had a double bush ( if I make myself clear) and
    > the other wheel was only a single bush bearing assembly.
    > My question, why the difference and which pulley should
    > be where in the reassembled mechanism? ( I assumed both
    > would be identical and took no notice of this variation
    > when dismantling - dooh) I hope you know what I mean - is
    > there more strain at the bottom part of the derailleur or
    > does the wheel nearest the sprockets have a rougher time?
    > TIA Fred

    Hi, I can't help with the exploded view, but I just removed
    a 105 RD from my bike today. I was wiping it off and did
    notice that the pulleys were different. The upper pulley
    [guide pulley] says "Centeron G-Pulley", the lower pulley
    [tennison pulley] says "Narrow". The guide pulley spins
    freely, while the other one turns, but doesn't spin. By
    taking a look at the EV for the Ultegra RD and my own, I
    would think that the double bush is the guide pulley. Life
    is Good! Jeff

  6. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message

    > Hi, I can't help with the exploded view, but I just
    > removed a 105 RD from my bike today. I was wiping it off
    > and did notice that the pulleys were different. The upper
    > pulley [guide pulley] says "Centeron G-Pulley", the lower
    > pulley [tennison pulley] says "Narrow". The guide pulley
    > spins freely, while the other one turns, but doesn't spin.
    > By taking a look at the EV for the Ultegra RD and my own,
    > I would think that the double bush is the guide pulley.
    > Life is Good! Jeff

    [tennison pulley] Oops - should be "tension pulley".

  7. Fred

    Fred Guest

    "Fred" <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would appreciate some info please re the above. I've
    > dismantled and cleaned and greased the rear derailleur,
    > but found when I wanted to reassemble, that one of the
    > wheels had a double bush ( if I make myself clear) and the
    > other wheel was only a single bush bearing assembly. My
    > question, why the difference and which pulley should be
    > where in
    the
    > reassembled mechanism? ( I assumed both would be identical
    > and took no notice of this variation when dismantling -
    > dooh) I hope you know what I mean - is there more strain
    > at the bottom part
    of
    > the derailleur or does the wheel nearest the sprockets
    > have a rougher time? TIA Fred

    Thank you , one and all - I did manage to put them back the
    wrong way round! Glad I asked . Fred %-6