Shimano 105 F-type front derailleur

Colavita/ACT10

Jun 6, 2006
Hey guys,

I have a 2007 Fuji Team. You can see the bike at http://fujibikes.com/2007/bikes.asp?id=268&subcat=. Go to that link and click view details. Then, scroll down to drive train and look at what it says under front derailleur. It says Shimano 105 F-type. I have never head of an F-type front derailleur. Do any of you know what it is? Is it the same as a clamp on or is it totally different? If it is different, would I be able to put SRAM Rival on the bike?

Thanks for the help.

It appears to be a braze-on mount in the enlarged graphic ... so, F-type is probably someone in FUJI's marketing department's shorthand for Frame-type (you know, glued-and-riveted vs. brazed-on) ...

Consequently, you should be able to put a braze-on SRAM front derailleur directly onto your FUJI frame.

alfeng said:
It appears to be a braze-on mount in the enlarged graphic ... so, F-type is probably someone in FUJI's marketing department's shorthand for Frame-type (you know, glued-and-riveted vs. brazed-on) ...

Consequently, you should be able to put a braze-on SRAM front derailleur directly onto your FUJI frame.

F-type is Shimano's shorthand. I've seen a couple of clamp on F-types, so it doesn't appear to specify the mounting means. I've seen them in both double and triple.

meb said:
F-type is Shimano's shorthand. I've seen a couple of clamp on F-types, so it doesn't appear to specify the mounting means. I've seen them in both double and triple.
Actually Shimano's F-Type Front Derailleurs are Braze-on mounted and the B-Type are Band mounted. If you have an F-Type Derailleur and you want to use it on a bike that does not have the braze on, you can order Clamp Band Units, Shimano Part Number SM-AD11 for 1-1/4" Seat Tube or SM-AD15 for 1-3/8" Seat Tube. That is why you have seen some Shimano F-Type Derailleurs with clamp bands.

alfeng said:

Small point..if the gent has shimano STI, the sram FD is not compatible with those shifters. AND if the FD is a 10s triple, the top 2(DA and ultegra) use a 53/39-big and middle and the 105 is 50-39..The ultegra and DA FD is not compatible with a 50/39...cage hits the middle ring when on large ring since the cage is so deep.

Peter@vecchios said:
Small point..if the gent has shimano STI, the sram FD is not compatible with those shifters. AND if the FD is a 10s triple, the top 2(DA and ultegra) use a 53/39-big and middle and the 105 is 50-39..The ultegra and DA FD is not compatible with a 50/39...cage hits the middle ring when on large ring since the cage is so deep.
Actually, not such a small point ... a very good & meaningful point ...

But, I was presuming that the OP wanted to install a pair of SRAM Rival shifters, too ... OR, perhaps, the OP was/is planning to use the Zinn Variation!?!

BTW. Peter, I hope you realize that you're compelling me to try an Ultegra 6603 front derailleur with a 53/39 crank just to see how poorly the combination actually functions!

alfeng said:
Actually, not such a small point ... a very good & meaningful point ...

But, I was presuming that the OP wanted to install a pair of SRAM Rival shifters, too ... OR, perhaps, the OP was/is planning to use the Zinn Variation!?!

BTW. Peter, I hope you realize that you're compelling me to try an Ultegra 6603 front derailleur with a 53/39 crank just to see how poorly the combination actually functions!

A 6603 will shift a 53/39/(30) fine. If the chainrings are 52(3)/42/30, like 6503 see below.

Well it works in the sense that if you pedal slowly and the FD is mounted high enough(VERY high), it will get the chain to the big ring and if it's high enough, the inner cage won't hit the middle ring but if you shift abruptly, it'll throw the chain off the big ring since the FD is so high.

Peter@vecchios said:
A 6603 will shift a 53/39/(30) fine. If the chainrings are 52(3)/42/30, like 6503 see below.

Well it works in the sense that if you pedal slowly and the FD is mounted high enough(VERY high), it will get the chain to the big ring and if it's high enough, the inner cage won't hit the middle ring but if you shift abruptly, it'll throw the chain off the big ring since the FD is so high.
HMMmm ...

Well, I would have thought that the MASSIVE inner cage on the 6603 front derailleur would actually expedite the shifting, if only incrementally, rather than aggravate it ...

I'll trust your observation, for the time being, but I may 'test' the combination at some point in the future just to verify it!