Shimano 105 Front Derailer Compatible Shimano LX Shifters?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tommy Taylor, Feb 23, 2003.

  1. Tommy Taylor

    Tommy Taylor Guest

    I'm working on a road bike with a 105 front derailer and triple crank, I've added a riser bar and LX
    Shifters. It won't shift to the large chainring correctly. It will throw the chain past the chain
    ring and onto the crank. When I tighten the adjustment screw to limit the throw, the shifter won't
    click over to the high setting.

    I also added a Deore rear derailer, and a SRAM 11-32 cassette. The rear derailer seems to be
    adjusted and working OK.

    I would think that the shifter and derailer are compatible and that I'm missing something simple.

    Help.

    Tags:

  2. Tommy Taylor wrote:
    > I'm working on a road bike with a 105 front derailer and triple crank, =
    I've
    > added a riser bar and LX Shifters. It won't shift to the large chainri=
    ng
    > correctly. It will throw the chain past the chain ring and onto the cr=
    ank.
    > When I tighten the adjustment screw to limit the throw, the shifter won=
    't
    > click over to the high setting.
    >=20
    > I also added a Deore rear derailer, and a SRAM 11-32 cassette. The rea=
    > derailer seems to be adjusted and working OK.
    >=20
    > I would think that the shifter and derailer are compatible and that I'm=

    > missing something simple.

    Shimano rear shifters and derailers are all intercompatible, but it's a=20 different story on the
    front. The cable pull is different for drop bar=20 ("road") vs straight bar ("mountain") controls.

    There's only one front mech that is compatible with both your LX=20 shifters _and_ full-sized (52
    tooth) chainrings, the R440.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front for details.

    Sheldon "Solutions" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
    | I am appearing with the Sudbury Savoyards | In Gilbert & Sullivan=92s _Patience_ | February
    | 21-March 1, Sudbury, Massachusetts | http://sudburysavoyards.org |
    +-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. Jimbob

    Jimbob Guest

    "Tommy Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm working on a road bike with a 105 front derailer and triple crank,
    I've
    > added a riser bar and LX Shifters. It won't shift to the large chainring correctly. It will throw
    > the chain past the chain ring and onto the
    crank.
    > When I tighten the adjustment screw to limit the throw, the shifter won't click over to the high
    > setting.
    >
    > I also added a Deore rear derailer, and a SRAM 11-32 cassette. The rear derailer seems to be
    > adjusted and working OK.
    >
    > I would think that the shifter and derailer are compatible and that I'm missing something simple.
    >
    > Help.

    I think that road STI levers are needed for road front mechs in Shimano land.

    I don't think that you can use a 105 front mech with LX shifters as the cable pull is different. You
    may need a bar end shifter set to friction mode.

  4. Tommy Taylor

    Tommy Taylor Guest

    "JimBob> wrote in message > I think that road STI levers are needed for road front mechs in
    Shimano land.

    > I don't think that you can use a 105 front mech with LX shifters as the cable pull is different.
    > You may need a bar end shifter set to friction mode.

    I believe that you are correct. I ordered a Shimano R440 front derailer from Harris Cyclery. I plan
    to install and ride asap. Thank you rec.bike posters for sharing your expertise!