Shimano 105 Front Derailer Compatible Shimano LX Shifters?

Tommy Taylor

Guest
I'm working on a road bike with a 105 front derailer and triple crank, I've added a riser bar and LX
Shifters. It won't shift to the large chainring correctly. It will throw the chain past the chain
ring and onto the crank. When I tighten the adjustment screw to limit the throw, the shifter won't
click over to the high setting.

I also added a Deore rear derailer, and a SRAM 11-32 cassette. The rear derailer seems to be
adjusted and working OK.

I would think that the shifter and derailer are compatible and that I'm missing something simple.

Help.

Tommy Taylor wrote:
> I'm working on a road bike with a 105 front derailer and triple crank, =
I've
> added a riser bar and LX Shifters. It won't shift to the large chainri=
ng
> correctly. It will throw the chain past the chain ring and onto the cr=
ank.
> When I tighten the adjustment screw to limit the throw, the shifter won=
't
> click over to the high setting.
>=20
> I also added a Deore rear derailer, and a SRAM 11-32 cassette. The rea=
> derailer seems to be adjusted and working OK.
>=20
> I would think that the shifter and derailer are compatible and that I'm=

> missing something simple.

Shimano rear shifters and derailers are all intercompatible, but it's a=20 different story on the
front. The cable pull is different for drop bar=20 ("road") vs straight bar ("mountain") controls.

There's only one front mech that is compatible with both your LX=20 shifters _and_ full-sized (52
tooth) chainrings, the R440.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#front for details.

Sheldon "Solutions" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
| I am appearing with the Sudbury Savoyards | In Gilbert & Sullivan=92s _Patience_ | February
| 21-March 1, Sudbury, Massachusetts | http://sudburysavoyards.org |
+-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

"Tommy Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm working on a road bike with a 105 front derailer and triple crank,
I've
> added a riser bar and LX Shifters. It won't shift to the large chainring correctly. It will throw
> the chain past the chain ring and onto the
crank.
> When I tighten the adjustment screw to limit the throw, the shifter won't click over to the high
> setting.
>
> I also added a Deore rear derailer, and a SRAM 11-32 cassette. The rear derailer seems to be
> adjusted and working OK.
>
> I would think that the shifter and derailer are compatible and that I'm missing something simple.
>
> Help.

I think that road STI levers are needed for road front mechs in Shimano land.

I don't think that you can use a 105 front mech with LX shifters as the cable pull is different. You
may need a bar end shifter set to friction mode.

"JimBob> wrote in message > I think that road STI levers are needed for road front mechs in
Shimano land.

> I don't think that you can use a 105 front mech with LX shifters as the cable pull is different.
> You may need a bar end shifter set to friction mode.

I believe that you are correct. I ordered a Shimano R440 front derailer from Harris Cyclery. I plan
to install and ride asap. Thank you rec.bike posters for sharing your expertise!