Shimano 105 front gear shifting problem

SunBurnt

Jun 12, 2004
I am using a double in front.

It appears that I need to put in more effort shifting the front gears as compared to the rear gears.

As you know, Shimano STI shifters enable you push the shifters inward, push more inward and you get to shift multiple gears.

A small click-push of the shifters for the rear is able to shift em rear gears.
The problem is that I need to do TWO small click-push or ONE medium click-push to shift the front to the bigger cog. :mad:

IS THIS NORMAL at all???
Can the front gear be able to be shifted with just one small click??

What you're noticing is the trim function of the shifter.

When in extreme chain angles (from front to back cogs), the chain can sometimes rub on the edge of the front derailleur cage. These intermediate trim settings move the derailleur enough to stop the noise, but not so much to actually initiate a gear shift.

(And yes, it's normal for front shifting to feel harder than rear shifting, especially when upshifting. One thing you can do to make it easier is to push the shift lever all the way and hold it there until the upshift has completed.)

rek said:
What you're noticing is the trim function of the shifter.

When in extreme chain angles (from front to back cogs), the chain can sometimes rub on the edge of the front derailleur cage. These intermediate trim settings move the derailleur enough to stop the noise, but not so much to actually initiate a gear shift.

(And yes, it's normal for front shifting to feel harder than rear shifting, especially when upshifting. One thing you can do to make it easier is to push the shift lever all the way and hold it there until the upshift has completed.)

Thanks for the info!

For a moment there I thought I have a bad shifter.
Anyway, I will pay the LBS a visit to see if they can make it smoother. :D

There is some way to fine-adjust the trim positions, and I think there was a reference file on www.shimano-europe.com on how to do it, but I've never bothered.