Shimano 105 front shifter problem

msander19

Aug 25, 2006
So I just got a brand new Felt F-75. I've gone for a few rides on it, and have been playing just a little bit with the front derailleur adjustment screws because it hasnt' been shifting from small to large ring very well. Today, I was out riding for 5 mins, shifting back and forth between big and small rings a few times, when the chain came off on the crank side. Well after this, I no longer get any response from my front shifters. When I try and shift back to small ring, the shifter has no resistance and just feels like it's not attached to anything. I'm obviously on the large ring, and that shifter even though it obviously can't be shifted is rock tight, it has almost zero movement to it. Can someone please give me some advice or help. I am new to road bikes, and would really like to gain some experience in fixing these types of problem. Thanks for your help.

PS. Here's a link to the bike's spec page so you can see what's on it.

http://www.feltracing.com/06/06_bikes/f75/spec.html

Sounds like the shifter ratchet has jammed - my 105 right shifter used to do that a bit (but never my DA).
This is what I would do:
Slack off the high limit screw to take the tension off the cable, then try to downshift.
If that didn't work, then release the cable at the derailleur anchor bolt and retighten the bolt after letting out 5-10mm of cable, complete the upshift with the brake lever and then downshift with the gear lever while pulling gently on the cable at the down tube during the downshift.
If that still didn't free up the ratcheting mechanism, particularly after a few cycles of upshift/downshift, while pulling gently on the cable during the downshift, then the shifter would need to be checked out by a mechanic.
If the ratchet did free up, then the cable tension and limit screws would need to be reset (ie as per www.parktool.com, "Repairs" section).

I,m having similar problems with my felt, today chain fell off when shifting down gear, taking bike in for first service tomorrow so i,ll let you know how things go
i,m pretty sure mine just needs adjustment usual cable stretch.