Shimano 105 frount derailer

Sando

Jun 22, 2006
Hi all

I have just purchased a 2005 Giant OCR1 with Shimano 105 drivetrain. I love the bike and all works well accept for one issue...

When I select higher gears (even mid range gears) from my smaller chain ring, the chain rubs on (i think) the front detailer. Also, when i go into smaller gears (even mid range gears) with the large chain ring, it seems to rub as well...

This issue is also annoying because I'm not strong enough to sit in the higher gears from the front chain ring for long periods of time and the low (easy) gears avail from the smaller chain ring are too low and I go too slow :p.

At the end of the day I feel i can't sit in mid range gears...:(

Does all of this mean i need to get the bike serviced? Or is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?:confused:

Thank you

Sando said:
Hi all

I have just purchased a 2005 Giant OCR1 with Shimano 105 drivetrain. I love the bike and all works well accept for one issue...

When I select higher gears (even mid range gears) from my smaller chain ring, the chain rubs on (i think) the front detailer. Also, when i go into smaller gears (even mid range gears) with the large chain ring, it seems to rub as well...

This issue is also annoying because I'm not strong enough to sit in the higher gears from the front chain ring for long periods of time and the low (easy) gears avail from the smaller chain ring are too low and I go too slow :p.

At the end of the day I feel i can't sit in mid range gears...:(

Does all of this mean i need to get the bike serviced? Or is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?:confused:

Thank you

No it is not normal. Appears the bike is not new and has been improperly setup. Take it to someone who knows how to set up the limit screws, after checking it is mounted correctly, etc.

Good luck.

davef said:
No it is not normal. Appears the bike is not new and has been improperly setup. Take it to someone who knows how to set up the limit screws, after checking it is mounted correctly, etc.

Good luck.
A 2005 105 must be 9 speed. If you have a double, with the big ring (53 teeth) you should be able to use the 6 smallest cogs (bigger ratios) at least, maybe even 7. Opposite applies to the inner 39 teeth.

Take it to a shop and get it serviced. They might pick up a few other small issues that you haven't yet as well.

cheers