Shimano 105 going downhill?

foilist2000

Aug 22, 2003
Just bought a lot of new 105 parts to build up a frameset. I was really upset when I found that the shifters (£119) are largely made up of plastic, or as shimano calls it "engineering plastic". I looked at a set of 8 speed 105 which I had from a few years ago and they are alloy throughout, and weight a little less.

Next time its campag for me I think.

foilist2000 said:
Just bought a lot of new 105 parts to build up a frameset. I was really upset when I found that the shifters (£119) are largely made up of plastic, or as shimano calls it "engineering plastic". I looked at a set of 8 speed 105 which I had from a few years ago and they are alloy throughout, and weight a little less.

Next time its campag for me I think.
Eh, it's nearly that way across the board with Shimano STI shifters these days. The Campy stuff ain't exactly titanium either -- ok, so you'll get carbon levers with the top-end stuff, but for the purposes of a shifter lever, there's not much difference between "composite" and "engineering plastic."

If it works well, and it's durable, you shouldn't sweat it too much. Good luck with your assembly.