Shimano 105 Hollowtech Crank/Bottom Bracket Tool

rebaths

Aug 3, 2007
I have a 2002 Cannondale R700 with Shimano 105 crank. It has a "Hollowtech" logo on it. Everything I've seen online mentions Hollowtech II, but I'm not sure if this is the same one.

I'd like to know how to remove the crank and the bottom bracket. There is no plastic cap on the crank, just a hex bolt on both sides (which I have removed to reveal threads inside). I went to the bike store and they sold me a tool they said would work, but I'm afraid to use it on my bottom bracket because it seems the tool was designed for bottom brackets with more than 8 "notches" and my bottom bracket has 8 notches, and the tool doesn't fit very tightly. The tool comes with an adapter for Hollowtech II, but like I said, I'm not sure if that's what I have.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

You have an Octalink bottom bracket with a "Hollowtech I" crankset. You need an ordinary crank puller to remove the crankset. First, undo the crank bolts with the correct hex key and remove them (both right hand thread). Then use your crank puller. Ensure that you use this correctly, as you could damage the crank if you don't have the "puller" threaded in all the way, or if you don't have the correct end on the "pusher" bolt. Some Hollowtech cranksets had self-extracting bolts, but not 105, I think. As soon as the crankset is removed, use an old-fashioned Shimano cartridge BB tool to remove the cups, left side first (right-hand thread) , then the right side (fixed cup, reverse thread). Note that the "Hollowtech II" tool will not work.

artemidorus said:
You have an Octalink bottom bracket with a "Hollowtech I" crankset. You need an ordinary crank puller to remove the crankset. First, undo the crank bolts with the correct hex key and remove them (both right hand thread). Then use your crank puller. Ensure that you use this correctly, as you could damage the crank if you don't have the "puller" threaded in all the way, or if you don't have the correct end on the "pusher" bolt. Some Hollowtech cranksets had self-extracting bolts, but not 105, I think. As soon as the crankset is removed, use an old-fashioned Shimano cartridge BB tool to remove the cups, left side first (right-hand thread) , then the right side (fixed cup, reverse thread). Note that the "Hollowtech II" tool will not work.
You are right, the 105 doesn't have the self extract bolts. There is a special crank puller that is used on the Octalink that has a puller head that is just large enough to pull the cranks. My ordinary crank puller head is too narrow and would have ended up damaging the internal spindle threads.

kdelong said:
You are right, the 105 doesn't have the self extract bolts. There is a special crank puller that is used on the Octalink that has a puller head that is just large enough to pull the cranks. My ordinary crank puller head is too narrow and would have ended up damaging the internal spindle threads.
FYI. When using a "regular" crank extractor on an Octalink-or-ISIS Bottom Bracket, I just put a penny-or-a-slug (zinc pennies are soft & will suffer some deformation) against the BB spindle before threading the extractor into the crank arm.

alfeng said:
FYI. When using a "regular" crank extractor on an Octalink-or-ISIS Bottom Bracket, I just put a penny-or-a-slug (zinc pennies are soft & will suffer some deformation) against the BB spindle before threading the extractor into the crank arm.
Yeah but why waste a penny when you can spend 2000 of them for the tool?;)

I used a dime, but the dime deformed and lodged inside the hollow part of the BB. Gonna try 2 pennies tomorrow, but then just take it to the shop.

Originally Posted by rebaths .

I have a 2002 Cannondale R700 with Shimano 105 crank. It has a "Hollowtech" logo on it. Everything I've seen online mentions Hollowtech II, but I'm not sure if this is the same one.

I'd like to know how to remove the crank and the bottom bracket. There is no plastic cap on the crank, just a hex bolt on both sides (which I have removed to reveal threads inside). I went to the bike store and they sold me a tool they said would work, but I'm afraid to use it on my bottom bracket because it seems the tool was designed for bottom brackets with more than 8 "notches" and my bottom bracket has 8 notches, and the tool doesn't fit very tightly. The tool comes with an adapter for Hollowtech II, but like I said, I'm not sure if that's what I have.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
The 'bike store' should have told you you need a little plug(shimano and fsa makes them, they come with FSA ISIS BBs) that goes into the end of the BB spindle for the crank puller to push against. Surprised they didn't mention it.....no I'm not.

Failing that, you can use a cutt off axle, inserted into the BB spindle, keep one of the crank bolts in, push against that.

I ended up putting one of the crank bolts in and sliding another bolt with a few nuts stacked on it to reach the right length. It worked like a charm.

Thanks to all for the help!